Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Whiteboard plugin discussion
Miranda IM

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whiteboard plugin discussion

Whiteboard plugin discussion

This plugin allows you with your friend to draw something together. It sends all the changes from both sides almost in real-time. Just click "Whiteboard" in the contact menu and start drawing, your friend will see it :)
    Of course, Whiteboard must be installed on both sides, and also DataAsMessage plugin is required.

Both plugins are early betas, but they seem to work somehow :)
    I just decided that it's better to let people try the plugin, even in its current stage.. ;)

Download Whiteboard
    Download DataAsMessage

screenshot

I warned you, use these plugins at your own risk. there are a lot of bugs yet (though there are no any known severe bugs that cause Miranda to crash)..

btw, the board is unlimited, so don't even try to find the end, the drawing expands every time you draw something near an edge ;-P

Thanks to:
    - Std, who gave me the sources of FileAsMessage plugin and helped me with some ideas
    - JdGordon, for the sources of his unfinished Whiteboard plugin
    - Nullbyte, for his help and ideas
    - and to many other people who helped me too :)

wow thanks, very nice! whiteboard can be very helpful for communication. this is the next step approach :)

Is DataAsMessage an improved FileAsMessage plugin and has all of it's features so that the second one can be fully replaced?

I think Photoshop is better.

Just kidding... Excellent work, indeed!

Very nice indeed.
    Looking forward to bug fixes and general improvements (fixed width/height?)

looks really nice :)

Quote Originally Posted by slotwin
    Is DataAsMessage an improved FileAsMessage plugin and has all of it's features so that the second one can be fully replaced?
    no, DataAsMessage is a service plugin and it won't replace FileAsMessage ever. though these both plugins use the same technique to transmit data, and it's possible to make an alternative to FileAsMessage - a plugin that will use DataAsMessage API to send and receive files. I'm still thinking of it, maybe I'll write such plugin just to test DataAsMessage.
    Quote Originally Posted by YtseJam
    Looking forward to bug fixes and general improvements (fixed width/height?)
    what width/height? :-| I can't remember any problems with width/height..

One idea I have for some time and i think this plugin could use: i wanted to request to Nightwish to add an API to tabSrmm to allow adding a dialog (embedded) to one of the sides of the message window. Something like you call an api like the options dialog one, but expecifying where to show the dialog (left, right, top, bottom) and maybe a base size, and define one message to the tab change (to the dialog handle that). This would be very useful to, for example, add the whiteboard to the right of the message window, allowing to user to type and draw on same window.

@ Deathdemon, Nightwish

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by pescuma
    This would be very useful to, for example, add the whiteboard to the right of the message window, allowing to user to type and draw on same window.
    well, I'm not against it, but also I'm not sure that it's the best solution.. I think, I'll abstain from promising anything right now ;) I want to hear others' opinion (especially what Nightwish will say).
    even if this idea will be implemented, it requires some careful designing, with all Whiteboard controls to fit well in a relatively small window.
    also sometimes it's convenient to maximize Whiteboard window.. of course it's possible to do all these things well, with some time expenses, but is it reasonable to implement the idea at all?..

I think for a quick and simple drawing session, the whiteboard window could fit into one tab just like a normal conversation window, maybe even be set as window background with text scrolling over (when IEView is not used). I don't know if this could practically be achieved, so it's all Nightwish's word on this. Maximizing the window will obviously get it out of the container to a predefined window size.

Either way, it's a great achievement and I look forward to using its bug-free version. ;-)