Miranda IM

Thread: Database Panic

Database Panic

Hey there,
    after having installed "SmileyAdd Unicode 0.1.12.2" from the FL my Miranda crashed. On restarting the application now a "Database Panic"-Error appears and Miranda shuts down. Normally such problems can be fixed by latest dbtool.exe from the Blogs, but this time its seems like the DB Signature is corrupted and dbtool can't help me...

is there ANY way to rescue my data from the last 3 to 4 years including contactlist, message logs and settings?

please help me! *cry* =)

You might try the suggestion Nightwish posted here:

http://forums.miranda-im.org/showthr...ight=Signature

Backup your current database first!

Btw, this might help you avoid similar problems in the future: Miranda database - with AutoBackups.

Hey Tara,
    thanks for your quick answer. I will try Nightwishs solution, but I am not quite sure whether I can fix the DB, because HEX-Editors never have been my field of work, so I don`t really know what to do.

I did install Autobackups Database, but it seems like it did backup my database the last time a month ago.. this is lot of lost information ;)

Maybe anybody knows how to repair my signature? as I suppose the dat not to be fully corrupted.

thanks

//edit: My first line in HEX-Editor shows: Miranda SEC DB..
    and there is no Miranda ICQ DB, might be caused by using db3xSA.dll
    Last edited by Schommel; 9 Apr 2006 at 6:38 PM.

If you don't have a HEX editor installed, you might try this one: http://www.hhdsoftware.com/hexeditor.html

I've been using it (the freeware version) for a couple of years and haven't had any issues with that. Just make sure you have a backup copy of the .dat file :)

Quote Originally Posted by Schommel
    I did install Autobackups Database, but it seems like it did backup my database the last time a month ago.. this is lot of lost information ;)
    Oops :(

Quote Originally Posted by Tara
    If you don't have a HEX editor installed, you might try this one: http://www.hhdsoftware.com/hexeditor.html
    Thanks, but this does not work for my .dat ;) Freeware version only opens up to 10MBs and my .dat contains 22MBs :)

I installed mirkes.de Tiny Hexeditor at the moment, but as told in previous post... there is "Miranda SEC DB.." in the first line and now i got no idea what to do next ;)

// edit: as far as I did understand Nightwish the right way my signature seems not to be corrupted, because everything fits to his description:

Pic #1
    Last edited by Schommel; 9 Apr 2006 at 7:24 PM.

According to Nightwish's post, that should be Miranda ICQ DB (I've confirmed this with my database now also). You may be right that this string is different because you're not using the core database driver (I am now), but if I were you, I'd still try replacing the SEC part with ICQ (or modify the bytes). You should get:

4d69 7261 6e64 6120 4943 5120 4442 00

If don't give it a try, you won't see if it helps...

And if it doesn't, then you could try to recover your contacts/history by creating a new database and then importing your data into it. If it works :S

The settings will probably need to be redone though.

Btw, please edit your previous post and replace the image with a link - that site seems to be slow and slows down the whole page. Thanks in advance!

I changed to Miranda ICQ DB..
    see yourself:
    Pic #2
    Pic #3

changed to Link-version, sorry for this. on my isp this server is fast as hell ;)
    Last edited by Schommel; 9 Apr 2006 at 7:26 PM.

Doesn't seem to have helped :(

Just for the record, you seem to be using SecureDB + Autobackup rather than sje's Miranda database - with AutoBackups which I posted the link to (so - users of sje's database driver don't need to worry that much!). But still, each of them creates the same string in the signature as the official driver - Miranda ICQ DB - I've just installed/tested both.

Regarding your problem though... maybe you could try a new profile and the import thing then :S

Thanks for linking the pics - that's probably some local issue here!

LoL, I'm sitting in front of computer monitors since I've been 6 to 7 years old and believe me: I got really no idea how the f*** windows fuzzy logic work!
    I did change nothing at all on my copy of the original corrupted .dat and though I even tested it again (the 5th time or similar) and this time, don't ask me why - I'd like to know myself too, Miranda "booted" the right way again as times before. Clever I am, I quickly did a backup of the working .dat through AutoBackups (I had the copys too.. they have been stored local and not on my USB stick... -_-) and closed Miranda IM again. Simply retrying (having nothing changed again) again the error appears, but I got my working copy throug AutoBackups!!! And this one works "perfectly" without any errors trying it restarting ten times for now!

I don't really understand it...

// edit:

at all back to the other diffuse things. I suppose sje's database driver to create "Miranda SEC DB" only on having enabled password protection for the .dat, else case the signature is normal "Miranda ICQ DB" ;)

// edit2:

another thing to mention is that I tried to create a new .dat and import the old one, but this didn't work caused by version violations on both versions: the HEX-edited and the normal-corrupted .dat
    Last edited by Schommel; 9 Apr 2006 at 7:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schommel
    LoL, I'm sitting in front of computer monitors since I've been 6 to 7 years old and believe me: I got really no idea how the f*** windows fuzzy logic work!
    There's always the gremlins too :D

Anyway, I am happy you've been able to solve that problem! And about the database - you are absolutely right. That's a signature of a password protected database. I forgot to check that out before :S