Miranda IM

Thread: Automatic compact DB

Automatic compact DB

Is possible to add this feature??

It would be great when Miranda startup check if the DAT profile is wasting space and automatically compact the profile and then start Miranda??

This problem happen to people that is not so "techie" and hate the originals IM and they forget to use DBTOOL time to time and I saw DB with 20mb!!! only in 6 mounts and after the DBtool it only 1mb!!

Please someone can do something?

Thanks for the excellent work!! I love Miranda!!

the only reason your db would grow like this and then be able to shrink with dbtool is you had alot of history and deleted it, if thats the case then you must have used something like history sweeper which would have told you that would be the case
    miranda itself doesn't resize the dat file, but it will reclaim empty space
    your dat file shouldn't have grown unless the data in it needed more space

yes is true I use history sweeper and my friends too because we don't like to store old msg (as a lot of people) so I thought that would be nice to be implement something to shrink the DB automatically, as I haven't got enough programing knowledge the only thing that I can do is let you know as a Feature Requests, sorry if someone don't understand this problem.

Thanks for the answer.

There is a solution, but i dont find anything about this in the forum...
    Some time ago there was a dbtool2 which support command line arguments, i hope someone can remember to this tool...

But there is no need for this, use the historysweeper and use the dbTool all 1-2 week, this should be enough.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by cojones
    the only reason your db would grow like this and then be able to shrink with dbtool is you had alot of history and deleted it, if thats the case then you must have used something like history sweeper which would have told you that would be the case
    miranda itself doesn't resize the dat file, but it will reclaim empty space
    your dat file shouldn't have grown unless the data in it needed more space
    cojones, have to disagree with you. I did not delete any history and dbtool shrinked my database the same way few days ago.

Ferchobahia, try using VirtDB. Once you set your DB up properly, you save it and you don't have to worry about it growing and history removing. Just set the respective mirandaboot.ini entry to 'No' (I think it's called 'Realize on exit' or something) and you're done. The only issue will be with the MSN protocol, which will show some 'ghost' users still online on startup, because some settings are not handled properly. Hopefully this issue will be fixed, sooner or later.

Thanks Drugwash I read about that in the forum before post this, but I saw some problems including the increment of memory use and some crash problems too, so I disagree to test it for now, maybe in the future.

Perhaps a command line of dbtool would be enough....

But I thing that a plugin to do this will be the solution.