Miranda IM

Page 1 of 197 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: AIM Protocol Discussion

AIM Protocol Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by snaphat
    check this out if you want:

http://www.snaphat.com/aim/
    Snaphat... that's frickin awesome! Any estimate as to how long it'll take till you've got a beta ready?

So far everything's working perfectly for me... Just two more question, do you plan to add support for buddy icons (aka avatars), and will you be supporting typing notification?

Thanks again dude!
    Last edited by Tara; 1 Aug 2007 at 4:54 AM. Reason: updated link to snaphat's site

The alpha oscar is very cool. Nice to see someone actually took getting it done seriously. I cant seem to log in to my account though. Is anyone having the same issue? any ideas on fixing it? I know its alpha so I shouldnt even expect it to work.

Quote Originally Posted by sybrscribe
    The alpha oscar is very cool. Nice to see someone actually took getting it done seriously. I cant seem to log in to my account though. Is anyone having the same issue? any ideas on fixing it? I know its alpha so I shouldnt even expect it to work.
    Looks like I need to add packet dumping so we can see what's going on. Make sure your name and password are correct and the server is set to login.oscar.aol.com:5190

I'm doubting that you have any of that incorrect though.

Hey, kudos for making AIM OSCAR a reality! We all appreciate it greatly! :)

After connecting successfully all my AIM contacts were outside of my Miranda group (but that's okay 'cause there's no groups support yet...) but also, I did have 7 "Unknown Contact" in my group (added right after AIM OSCAR connection and they crash Miranda when trying to view profile and what not...)

Just thought you should know... :)

Check the homepage again for supported/unsupported features. I thought I saw 'adding buddies' as an unsupported feature.

I didn't try adding contacts, they just showed up.

Hmmm... I have a hunch these contacts might have actually been on Miranda's list but not on the server list, so the plugin only sees the server list contacts, and the others are not recognized.
    Try adding those contacts to the server list with the TOC2 plugin, then reinstall the OSCAR one and see if they show up again.

Aim oscar - that's actually good news. Not that I personally need it that much (i'am rarely on aim), but aim is an important protocol and the missing oscar support was often causing frustration for people who wanted to use Miranda but decided against because it only supported toc.

@all
    Give this guy a break and don't hammer with feature requests (they can wait until the basic functionality is stable enough)

He has already done a nice job with the toc2 plugin, actually saving an important feature of Miranda (AIM connectivity). Now, with AIMOSCAR things can only get better - we all know how often it was requested and and now it seems it will finally become reality.

For me it works... At least I can login, wasn't able to test more, because nobody was online (my aim contact list IS small :) ).

I'm not totally up on how OSCAR works, so forgive me if this seems like a stupid question,

But why is there a seperate oscar plugin for both AIM and ICQ when they both use the same protocol, users of one client can communicate with the other, and i can see AIM users when using ICQOscarJ plugin? Why not just enhance ICQOscarJ's functionality in regard to AIM?

It's being worked on, however regarding ICQJ, the ICQ features have priority, so I guess it's much better if two people take care of the OSCAR protocol, each one with his own goals. The future can bring a merge or whatever, but for now, let's be thankful there is someone that does the job (and it does it well).
    Besides, as long as there are two separate official clients, it's better to have separate protocols in Miranda too, just in case.