Miranda IM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wassup: dead or alive?

Wassup: dead or alive?

[..............]
    Last edited by Drugwash; 10 Apr 2005 at 10:34 PM.

iirc there was a "fixed" version of wassup (maybe only in the old forums) that was changed to check for new nightlties in the correct place... but the whole testing release system has been changed again with new nightlies being announced on the blog (i dont know if the old file that had the version # of the newwest build is still being updated..), so its not gonna be easy getting wassup to work again with the newest builds...

re getting it to check for beta/test verison of plugins is impossible... i release beta builds occasionally onto the forums, some other dev might to it on his website, so there is no uniformatiy which makes it impossible...

sorry, i missed that suggestino in your first post (paragraphs help readability :) )

it wont work...

there was talk of completly overhauling the FL which would probably make this feasable.. but i dunno if thats still gonna happen...

the problem with wassup linking to the nightly builds is that people get lazy and then they stop reading and understanding what a nightly build is.

Nightly builds are unstable; they might crash, they might break your .dat, they might message all your friends that you have gas. (joke, really, I think)

When wassup automates the process to a single click, it ignores the changelog and ignores the big warning that the developers put there so that we HAVE to at least scroll through the text that is out there and get the idea that we are not running something perfect.

sorry, but i think that's a little rediculous

the non-nightlies are buggy enough to warrant similar warnings anyway - it's no excuse. i'm not saying there aren't excuses, but that isn't one. and similarly, there's no reason to make people search and 'scroll through the text' when what is being asked for is better presentation of the same information and access to the functionality that is already there. it's a mistake to think that the people who have made the effort are going to be any more educated about the 'dangers' than anyone else.

i think the disorganization of the website in particular, and the consequent crippling of tools providing functions that are considered essential these days, is doing real damage to miranda - first impressions, image, etc etc...

i'm not blaming anyone - there has been a lot of bad luck and of course there's really nobody on the miranda payroll, but it does not do anyone any good to blame 'the people' for 'being lazy' when it's obvious that a bit of effort in the right place would go a hell of a long way to solving this and a million other outstanding issues

it wont be done
    I am simply relaying the information from the developers that I can remember in my head, they dont like the idea of wassup downloading nightly builds and it will not be continued for this reason

First of all, Wassup might not have been updated in a while, but the author (That's me) is very much alive ;)
    In any case, the whole "mess" with nightlies is due to egodust's request... I had a working version of Wassup that fetched the latest nightly including any component you want from the website.
    egodust requested at the time I don't release that version... Mainly because most people just install the nightly and don't bother reading the changelog... I'm thinking of removing nightlies from Wassup all together and add support to update your official version... it makes more sense anyway :)
    Just so you know - Wassup is still alive, and any changes/comments/suggestions you might have, I'm ready to hear :) I'm hoping for a new version sometime soon too...

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado
    First of all, Wassup might not have been updated in a while, but the author (That's me) is very much alive ;) I'm hoping for a new version sometime soon too...
    That's great :) btw, can you save the columns sizes too when saving the window's size & position? it's a mess to make'em wider every time when the plugin's name gets too long, for example.

I would be glad, if you would update Wassup, even if you would remove nightlies. In the current version lots of components are not loaded and therefor cannot be updated by Wassup, i.e. themes, smileys, some protocol extensions.

ha, perfect!