Miranda IM

Thread: How to delete my forums account?

Hybrid View

How to delete my forums account?

Hi everyone,

since I'm off using Miranda IM, how can I remove my account?

Thanks in advance,
    Eagle

(deleted dup)
    Last edited by Homeric; 3 Apr 2017 at 1:47 AM. Reason: dup

I am not sure how you can remove your account from this site.

However, I recommend that you change your account password, for multiple reasons.

I have been reviewing my old accounts and various places and have seen that most sites migrated to HTTPS. However there is one kind of web sites that stay on HTTP: web forum discussions.

Firefox 51 now warns "This connection is not secure. Logins entered here could be compromised." - See Insecure password warning in Firefox for more info. Chrome puts "Not secure" warning in the address bar if an HTTP web site has a password field in the form.

In case of a forum database compromise, if the passwords were encrypted one-way, simple passwords are cracked very quickly, but complex passwords are hard to impossible to recover. Length and complexity protects your password against recovery from one-way encrypted form by brute force.

If a web site is storing user passwords in plain text or using reversible encryption, you better have a unique password, so that in case database is stolen, your password is not used against your other accounts. If I see that a web site e-mails me back my password, I mark it "plain text offender" in my password manager.

So, my recommendation to you: put a unique complex password using letters in different case, numbers and punctuation. Put it in your password manager. 40-character passwords work on this site.
    Last edited by Homeric; 22 Apr 2017 at 7:29 PM. Reason: Fix wording of Firefox warning message

Thanks for the lengthy post, but a) I already changed it to some random bull**** password and b) long before Mozilla's action I already opted for far more security by taking several actions - which I won't disclose for obvious reasons.

Anyway: @ mods: either delete my account or get lost. Miranda had its time, but since your development stalled and you don't proof you want to change that, I'm out of here.