Miranda IM

Thread: MS agents support

MS agents support

Althought there already is a program that does this ... I don't want to install this (commercial) "Smart Butler". Why are there loads of plugins dealing with SAPI, but none which can just integrate the agents?

In fact I'm just looking for a similar functionality mirc has. This is the only feature that keeps me from switching to miranda as my default irc-client.

Would be very nice if such a plugin could be built. I'm sure this will help many users to "downsize" their systray.

I didn't know that mirc supported agents?

The voice of experience (mine) says that agents are awful.
    That is why no-one uses them. They are VERY difficult, though not impossible, to get working in a stable state. I'm sure a plugin for Miranda would work, it would be good, but that is probably why no-one has yet done it. I might look into it, because it would be a good feature for newbies... :-)

I hate Agents!

If you're gonna add them, you might aswell had some flash thing, banners, popup, commercials, adware, spyware, sms, mms, games whiteboard, email and skins too!

http://forums.miranda-im.org/showthread.php?t=2813

mIRC's had agent support for a long time - the abbreviated readme in 6.16 goes back to August 2003, and it was added prior to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldmannen
    I hate Agents!

If you're gonna add them, you might aswell had some flash thing, banners, popup, commercials, adware, spyware, sms, mms, games whiteboard, email and skins too!
    Why aren't you using Chatzilla, anyhow? I would have thought nothing less would suit your moral and ethical beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by MattJ
    I didn't know that mirc supported agents?
    The voice of experience (mine) says that agents are awful.
    That is why no-one uses them.
    For me and plenty of my mates, agents do their work. They are not about having a computerized voice talking nonsens (which it would in my native language ... german). But it is very useful to have the communication of not very crowded channels simply stated in undisturbing bubbles at the top of the screen - while working, surfing etc.

Highlighting and similar functions are just not enough for my preferred usage.