Miranda IM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: idea: mirver->special miranda messages?

It doesn't send messages unless being asked to ... like asking if the contact is using miranda or answering to that request. It only sends messages if you query a contact for some information or if a contact queries you.

There's no problem, then. ;-)

Some people might want to check a contact silently, i.e. the contact doesn't see anything if he doesn't have miranda or the plugin. As this plugin works, if the other part doesn't have the plugin they see a message as you had typed it yourself :)

also check this thread I created for the plugin.

eblis - good effort. i've been thinking about a plugin like this for ages...

but, the issues you are having, e.g. sending unrecognised messages, is exactly why i posted this idea in the protocols section - if the protocols recognise these messages, and can tell what version of miranda is being run, then these issues can be avoided.

But what do you do with people that aren't running miranda? Their protocol handlers don't undertand the special message and print it anyway. You need a protocol on it's own if you want to be silent ... that means you need to add new contacts to the clist and a lot of hassle to make the protocol plugin work; not to mention people asking for messaging support for it :)
    If the other person has the plugin he doesn't see anything, the messages are filtered ;) - they only see messages if they don't have the plugin.

that's why there is 'MirVer' in the post subject - using this, you can
    tell that the other side is running miranda - from this you can guess
    protocol plugin version and therefore whether or not they can
    understand the messages

I don't know if i understood you right.
    So you want a protocol plugin, that talks on some given port to people ? How do you know who to talk to, you need a server that monitors the clients or at least an ip to connect to. What happens to people not using the plugin or filtering the port for whatever reasons ? So people need to explicitly connect to that protocol too in order for you to check them (hope i got the sentence right ;) )

As you can see from one of my previous posts i started working on a plugin but one that sends messages over available protocols (it uses the protocol to send message). This way you can check any person on your contact list regardless of protocol. The problem is that people might see weird messages from you.

what i want is for the protocols that already support the MirVer setting - that is, protocols that *already know* that miranda is running on the other side and even what version, to support the kinds of services that you have provided in your plugin - the important point being that the MirVer database setting that *already exists* could then be used to determine whether you have the understanding of your plugin messages on the other end - that is the point of this post. i applaud (though i can't spell) your efforts and such a plugin is the next best thing, but even better would be protocols (not a new one, i mean e.g. icq which supports client detection visibile via MirVer db setting) that could recognise a connection between different instances of themselves

I think first of all you should check for the type(s) of message(s) that are filtered/blocked by different clients. If you could find a common type that's blocked by all clients except for Miranda, you could create some kind of a ping message based on those characteristics, that would be blocked by those clients but correctly interpreted by Miranda (or hooked by your plugin before being blocked, if it has to).
    That message would then trigger data gathering and sending, in your plugin.

Here is my implementation of Sje's idea :)
    DataAsMessage plugin. it provides API for other plugins to transmit any (even binary) data to other contacts. It's an early beta yet, though it works somehow and allows my Whiteboard plugin to transmit its data :)
    also DataAsMessage uses BZip2 compression to minimize traffic and transmission time.

download DataAsMessage
    (the header file is in the archive too)

Thanks to:
    - Std, for his sources of FileAsMessage plugin
    - Eblis, for the sources of his Remote Client Query plugin
    - and to many other people who helped me :)