Miranda IM

Thread: Have to start as administrator, or it won't work

Have to start as administrator, or it won't work

Since just now, I found that I have to start Miranda as an administrator. I enabled UAC on my pc, and that's when this started surfacing. Strangely, even after disabling it, this still happens.

It's kind of understandable, since the profile database (and received files) are in the program directory. And that's not where they belong. They belong in the user profile directory. If they were located there, everything would work without an error.

So how do we fix this?

For the record, the error I'm getting is:
    Miranda was unable to open 'username.dat'
    It's inaccessible or used by other applications or Miranda instances

Run as Administrator -> works fine. But as stated, this shouldn't be neccesary. It's bad practice to put user stuff in the program directory anyway, so this needs fixing and not workarounding. Just to be clear.

My system is a Windows 7 x64 SP1, running as a non-administrator with UAC enabled.

Don't put database into the Miranda directory.
    To fix it remove Miranda from you hard drive and then install it using installer. It will put database into the safe location and everything will work.

Don't put database into the Miranda directory.
    I didn't! Miranda apparently did this when I first installed it... a VERY long time ago. I assume the right way of storing user data is now also the default, while it wasn't always.
    To fix it remove Miranda from you hard drive and then install it using installer. It will put database into the safe location and everything will work.
    That would be my conclusion as well. If the installer does things right since whenever, a reinstall would put things right. I'll just have to manually move my database (and settings) over to the profile directory.

Got it, thanks :)