Miranda IM

Thread: Off-the-Record Encryption Plugin

Off-the-Record Encryption Plugin

I realize that there are several good encryption plugins in the file listing. However, these plugins are only useful if my friends also use Miranda IM.

To fix this problem, I would like for a new encryption plugin to be developed based on the Off-the-Record Messaging library.

From their site:
    Off-the-Record (OTR) Messaging allows you to have private conversations over instant messaging by providing:

Encryption
    No one else can read your instant messages.
    Authentication
    You are assured the correspondent is who you think it is.
    Deniability
    The messages you send do not have digital signatures that are checkable by a third party. Anyone can forge messages after a conversation to make them look like they came from you. However, during a conversation, your correspondent is assured the messages he sees are authentic and unmodified.
    Perfect forward secrecy
    If you lose control of your private keys, no previous conversation is compromised.
    This library looks poised to become the standard way to provide cross-platform encryption of instant messages. Adium X on OSX now has native support, and a plugin is available for GAIM. An OTR proxy is available for clients that do not natively support this, but it would be nice to see a Miranda plugin. Are there any other Miranda users or developers that would have any interest in a plugin for this?

I never used anything like it, but there is SecureIM avaible already, ain't it?

Yes, I am aware of and have used the available plugins such as SecureIM and GnuPG, but they are not cross-platform and only work if my friends use Miranda also.

SecureIM is avaible on Trillian, AFAIR. There's also another client which has it, but I don't remember.

Thanks for pointing that out. I just looked into it, and it seems like Trillian's implementation only works between two Trillian users. Also, Trillian's SecureIM only works over the AIM and ICQ protocols.

Also, I'll quote this from the site:
    How is this different from Trillian's SecureIM?
    SecureIM doesn't provide any kind of authentication at all! You really have no idea (in any kind of secure way) to whom you're speaking, or if there is a "man in the middle" reading all of your messages.
    I am mainly interested in an Off-the-Record encryption plugin for Miranda because it would work with all of the chat protocols, and I could use it to talk to friends using Linux, Windows, or OSX.
    Last edited by Andrew179; 14 Jun 2005 at 7:49 AM.

The idea isn't bad and OTR looks like an interesting concept.

The main problem is that it'll probably never work with default clients (icq, msn and so on). But if the devs of all (or most) free or even commercial (mainly trillian, being the most important one) would unite and use this implementation - that would be fine.

Currently, secure instant messaging is a big pain. There is no standard (actually, there ARE a few, but nobody uses them).

Quote Originally Posted by Lunks
    SecureIM is avaible on Trillian, AFAIR. There's also another client which has it, but I don't remember.
    The 2 are unrelated. Trillian's SecureIM is not compatitble with the Miranda plugin and neither is any type of open standard.