Miranda IM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Developer wanted -- Adding optional real-time text to Miranda IM

Try coding it up, I will see about merging your patch.

Thank you, borka --

UPDATE -- bounty pot is now $325!
    (more donations have come in specifically for this module.)
    (This is for the programmer who writes a C/C++ XEP-0301 real-time text module)

We are rapidly becoming a more organized/formalized group.
    It's a long term plan. This is a 12-to-24 month plan to add this feature to all major open-source instant messengers. Right now, my free open-source library is finished in C# and Java format, but is not yet available in C/C++ or Objective C. Once that version is available, I'll fork a copy of it into GPL and donate it to Miranda.

Beyond this, it is our 10-year plan to replace obsolete deaf TDD/TTY devices (teletypewriter dinosaurs that some of us are stuck with), and use Real-Time Text instead (built-in into cell phones, and built-in to all major instant messengers, beginning with the open-source ones and eventually the big brand names, just like it's now built-in as an optional feature AOL Instant Messenger).

Due to its ability to replace TDD/TTY, real-time text may eventually be covered in legislation within 10 years (just like closed captioning and teletypewriter), because of the increasing pressure to replace the old 45 baud and 300 baud deaf teletypewriters! Real-time text gateways already exists for Relay Service & eventually Captioned Telephone, and even XMPP-RTT-to-TTY gateways will eventually become available too as well, for placing TTY calls via instant messenger (for legacy purposes). And TTY-to-TTY calls become unnecessary, just do direct instant messaging chat (with or without RTT, your preference)

Real-Time Text is an optional and non-intrusive feature, and a proper implementation (in certain audiences) get turned on more than 5% of the time which is more than audio and video (which often get turned on less than 2% of the time) -- so just because some people may not be interested in real-time text, doesn't mean it will be less popular by hearing people than audio/video. See, audio/video is a feature more people "hate" than real-time text! (And we all know Closed captioning is an optional and non-intrusive feature of TV's nowadays)

When the C/C++ version of the real-time text code becomes available, I'll be immediately adding it to Pidgin
    - Somebody accepts the 'bounty' challenge [current cash pot is now $325, it may increase further]
    - Or one of us will be writing the C/C++ library for real time text within 12-24 months [so why not volunteer before then?]

P.S. Check out http://www.fasttext.org -- our taskgroup developed a new icon graphic and the 'Fast Text' name for real-time text!
    Our deafies recognize various logos such as either of these Name:  standard-logos.png
Views: 1236
Size:  3.5 KB ... we are introducing Name:  FastText-logo_outline_150.png
Views: 1236
Size:  2.3 KB
    (more info - www.fasttext.org)
    Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 23 Feb 2012 at 5:38 AM.

Yep, I will -- just I've got a massive queue of projects. I refer you to:
    When the C/C++ version of the real-time text code becomes available, I'll be immediately adding it to Pidgin
    - Somebody accepts the 'bounty' challenge [current cash pot is now $325, it may increase further]
    - Or one of us [note: myself, possibly] will be writing the C/C++ library for real time text within 12-24 months [so why not volunteer before then?]