Miranda IM

Thread: new updater plugin

new updater plugin

(Not sure if this is the correct topic, sorry ;) )
    You speak about the updater...
    There is IMHO still a problem with the updater or better the addons.
    The addons contains the URL for the beta versions.
    Yes, yes, I know, the addon should not contain beta versions, but when I not use the updater plugin I am lost to find them.
    E.G., okay this should not happen too, but I can remember that there was some plugins for a new miranda beta only, without the update and the link to the beta I am lost in this case.
    At least for another plugin or standalone application like the updater, this inforamtion should be available too, in my opinion, even though my personal opinion is that the users should use always the stable version. ;)

Moved by tjado: new topic for updater is better to split the mass useless discussions :P

You know why these constant Beta plugins released and URL is not published. Because I do not want users reporting problems and demand fixes. It's as-is, take it or leave it. And no these URLs must not be on addons. Again the objective here is only for very advanced to users to find them. Everybody else use stable.

new updater plugin

Like i wrote in "addon structure":

Quote Originally Posted by tjado View Post
    I hope alpha/beta versions of plugins will be also available over our new addon site. But they won't be so easy to reach like the stable ones. Search results, top rankings etc. will only show the stable ones and the non-stable ones (so alpha's, beta's, nightly...) will be not so user friendly to download.
    ToDo
    • find out if Miranda gets plugin updates/installation without restart

" Everybody else use stable"...
    That's the desired value, but I have the feeling that the real value is that most people use a beta version, even though there is a full functional and bug-free stable version. :/

Yes because now, when lot of plugins are abandoned, every small change matters. I can live with some random crash, i always use newest version but for this i use miranda-vi.org page. I agree that addons should be free from alpha plugins. But it must be a way to easy make(after some testing) plugin as stable at adons page.

Yes but if sites like miranda-vi will only distribute stables (at general and maybe beta's only for people who really want it) in future, the main problem is solved here.
    If you use updater or trying to find plugins over miranda-vi, they deliver the newest version and don't check if this are stable or pre-release versions. This problem could be solved with unique id, that could have few bits for alpha, beta, stable, final...

But imho, all releases (also non-stable ones) should be uploaded at the new addon site (if the dev want it...).

new updater plugin

Added about 100 new smilies to the forum - check them out.