Miranda IM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protocol subcategory for threads

Protocol subcategory for threads

Instead of one massive thread per protocol, it would be far simpler if they each had their own sub forum or what ever.

Thank you

Hi,

one of my ideas were instead of a comment section per addon something like a own forum or integration of subcategories from this vBulletin forum in the addon page.

What do you think?

Tjado

Quote Originally Posted by tjado View Post
    one of my ideas were instead of a comment section per addon something like a own forum or integration of subcategories from this vBulletin forum in the addon page.

What do you think?
    I also had the idea of using the forum software in commenting/identification, even plugin authors if possible. The forum software already has mechanisms to prevent spam, it has thread rating and we have 12500+ members here (with posts), so it would be pretty cool.

The reason for 1 thread per protocol, is that developer get a email when you write there.

We already had comment section per addon, it quickly became a place where people who do not want to create an account ask for tech support. It became just an ugly tech support forum, with VersionInfo requests, VersionInfo reports, etc.
    A lot of comments were related to older versions of plugin and were not applicable. Then spammers decided use it as an advertisement platform and it got finally disabled. Having comment section on a plugin is a bad idea.

borkra, I have to disagree with your resolution as unrelated to the thread.
    People spoke about using *forum*, which already have it all, to work a bit more to the advantage of everyone's good (bad ppl excluded).
    I myself have good history of integrating forum software into different places of websites as commentation and/or even publication engine.
    With moderm modular forum software structure, it is fairly easy to initialize certain mechanisms of forum in different place, for example - to serve as addon comments thread.

Is this thread about a new addon site or is the post from nutellajunkie a request/idea for the forum?

For the first one, what the users need?
    They are two groups:
    a) Users who have questions
    b) Users who have questions, and are smart enough to search for information.
    c) Users who want report bugs or have suggestions

For group a, "questioners":
    It's pointless to show e.g. a jabber user this thread:
    http://forums.miranda-im.org/showthr...col-Discussion
    You really think anyone search in this threads and find anything? No, users will fill up this threads with the same questions over and over again. Okay, some user do this already, but I am sure, if the link is on the addon site this threads will get completly unusable.

For group b, "readers":
    They can find any useful information in this threads? Is it possible to find general information about any plugin in the forum thread? E.g. can I find out by myself how the MSN serverlist work? Maybe I find some hints, but an explanation? No!

I admire persons who answer the same questions over and over again in the forum, but this give not more or better information.
    In summary a forum link on the addonsite is not a very good idea, in my opinion. Sure, it need no additional work, but is it useful?

Alternative?
    Yes, there is an alternative in my opinion.
    Look here:
    http://addons.miranda-im.org/details...ewfile&id=4172
    Facebook Protocol 0.1.1.1
    I see not a big problem to put the link:
    http://wiki.miranda-im.org/index.php...ption:Facebook on the addon site.
    (Plugindescription= Wike Namespace )
    a) The link is fixed, based on the plugin name.
    b) Who write the text in the wiki? Yes, errmm, you catched me... :| But who answer the question in the forum if there is a forum link on the addon site? I am not sure what is more work.

For group c) How many users are in this group? Only a minority and if this is one of the "core" protocol, this things should be in the bugtracker. There are also some developers with own forums or bugtracker. Put the link to the forum on the wiki site.

Peter
    Last edited by Lastwebpage; 21 Jun 2010 at 10:28 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by borkra View Post
    The reason for 1 thread per protocol, is that developer get a email when you write there.
    This would be also possible (if the dev request it) for a subforum.
    Quote Originally Posted by borkra View Post
    We already had comment section per addon, it quickly became a place where people who do not want to create an account ask for tech support. It became just an ugly tech support forum, with VersionInfo requests, VersionInfo reports, etc.
    A lot of comments were related to older versions of plugin and were not applicable. Then spammers decided use it as an advertisement platform and it got finally disabled. Having comment section on a plugin is a bad idea.
    It is required to have a account if you want to post into the forum. Also there are anti-spam mechanism. And if the plugin dev don't want to have a forum they can request it :P

Quote Originally Posted by Lastwebpage View Post
    Is this thread about a new addon site or is the post from nutellajunkie a request/idea for the forum?

For the first one, what the users need?
    They are two groups:
    a) Users who have questions
    b) Users who have questions, and are smart enough to search for information.
    c) Users who want report bugs or have suggestions

For group a, "questioners":
    It's pointless to show e.g. a jabber user this thread:
    http://forums.miranda-im.org/showthr...col-Discussion
    You really thing anyone search in this threads and find anything? No, users will fill up this threads with the same questions over and over again. Okay, some user do this already, but I am sure, if the link is on the addon site this threads will get completly unusable.

For group b, "readers":
    They can find any useful information in this threads? Is it possible to find general information about any plugin in the forum thread? E.g. can I find out by myself how the MSN serverlist work? Maybe I find some hints, but an explanation? No!

I admire persons who answer the same questions over and over again in the forum, but this give not more or better information.
    In summary a forum link on the addonsite is not a very good idea, in my opinion. Sure, it need no additional work, but is it useful?

Alternative?
    Yes, there is an alternative in my opinion.
    Look here:
    http://addons.miranda-im.org/details...ewfile&id=4172
    Facebook Protocol 0.1.1.1
    I see not a big problem to put the link:
    http://wiki.miranda-im.org/index.php...ption:Facebook on the addon site.
    (Plugindescription= Wike Namespace )
    a) The link is fixed, based on the plugin name.
    b) Who write the text in the wiki? Yes, errmm, you catched me... :| But who answer the question in the forum if there is a forum link on the addon site? I am not sure what is more work.

For group c) How many users are in this group? Only a minority and if this is one of the "core" protocol, this things should be in the bugtracker. There are also some developers with own forums or bugtracker. But the link to the forum on the wiki site.

Peter
    I agree with you... sad world :D

Why we need a wiki to write information? We could integrate this into the new addon side ;P Also something like FAQ could be possible (needs to be maintained by the dev in a very easy way).

Otherwise i will integrate a rating system with comments (like the one of the Firefox side...) but still requires a login (single sign on would be nice then).

So:
    • Only a thread if the plugin dev wants it
    • Subform is the plugin dev wants it
    • Own FAQ site if the plugin dev wants it
    • Otherwise only comments

But this would be confusing...

Why wiki? Because wiki is a collaboration engine, nearly perfectly suited for writing documentation.

@Tjado,
    who can and will write this info on the addon site?
    -The plugin developer?
    -The addon site moderators?
    -*YOU*, koobs, Gahzan, Borkra and rainwater? :D

Quote Originally Posted by Lastwebpage View Post
    @Tjado,
    who can and will write this info on the addon site?
    -The plugin developer?
    -The addon site moderators?
    -*YOU*, koobs, Gahzan, Borkra and rainwater? :D
    The plugin developer is the one who is responsible for that... ;P