Miranda IM

Thread: unique id

unique id

Unique ID's
    Each part of the structure in "addon structure" (addons/versions/files/) needs a unique id.
    Also there should be "special" unique id's that points always to the latest version/latest stable version/latest stable version for x64 in unicode etc...

ToDo
    • specify the format of unique id's
    • needs agreement with the "versioning idea"
    • feedback required if that is a good structure for a new updater plugin
    • some unique fields are still missing in the database model
    • a lot of more?! :)

Only a comment about this unique ID (And maybe some other things in your posts about Addon site development too),
    give up the hope that the developers use this properly... :/
    a) Look at the current plugin versionsnumbers, if there was ever a rule for this numbers, why lot of numbers are different?
    b) unique ID = ONE File = somehow readable and usable? Or in other words, when I visit a site like miranda-vi, use the updater or any tool, and I see somewhere this UID, I want not try to figure out e.g. what kind of ICQ or MenuItemEx modification I have found.

Quote Originally Posted by Lastwebpage View Post
    a) Look at the current plugin versionsnumbers, if there was ever a rule for this numbers, why lot of numbers are different?
    A proper version resource is required for plugins to be loaded by Miranda but not on the Addons site itself. This is why you see inconsistencies. For plugins only, I would like for Addons to scan the plugin when it is uploaded and read the version number from there.

please see "addon versioning" topic :)

b) unique ID = ONE File = somehow readable and usable? Or in other words, when I visit a site like miranda-vi, use the updater or any tool, and I see somewhere this UID, I want not try to figure out e.g. what kind of ICQ or MenuItemEx modification I have found.
    unique id = one file
    unique id = one addon
    unique id = one version of one addon

So everything should have a unique id but that will be used only in the backend. You should never found any unique id on miranda-vi but instead miranda-vi could (maybe) use our xml-rpc interface to lookup what is behind of some id and output the correct addon, addon version or link to a specific file.

Thanks for this explanation. My first thought was that this UID should be a replacement/addition for the plugin UID, therefore I madke this comment. ;)

My first thought was that this UID should be a replacement/addition for the plugin UID, therefore I madke this comment. ;)
    Yes, in someway it should be a replacement/addition for the plugin ID but how exactly is not clear yet...