Miranda IM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: addon structure

Quote Originally Posted by borkra View Post
    And who the hell going to support all these API UUIDs, nobody, Miranda is complex enough without UUID.
    Ye i agree with you... this isn't really possible because a API must be standardized otherwise there could be some missing function in one of the XY plugins which want to provide it and your plugin doesn't work...

The only chance is, to do it over categroies... "plugin XY needs one of the plugins from category Z...". But the plugin dev needs to check if any plugin from this works correctly etc... too much work/circumstances

Quote Originally Posted by tjado View Post
    The only chance is, to do it over categroies... "plugin XY needs one of the plugins from category Z...". But the plugin dev needs to check if any plugin from this works correctly etc... too much work/circumstances
    I'd disagree on this. This is one of the biggest user-issues with MIM. Trying to get "simple" things as "i want it to look like THIS" to work. I've converted quite a few people from other clients to MIM, but this ALWAYS popped up. Not everyone is enough literate and willing to experiment. This is why there should be some kind of mechanism that could tell, if this can work with that. This info's usually in the descriptions anyway, so why not standardize it. First step after installation for a new user (after setting up the contacts, ofc) is trying to visualize the interface the way he'd like it. How? He goes to addons>skins. finds a skin, and bumps to the first problem. HOW to install it, and when it's installed, WHY doesn't it list in the skins? Well, because it's a skin for another clist. But how can he know this? Most of the users don't even know that there are 3 clist options and stick with the default one. I'll try to give this a deeper thought and scheme it to visualize all the connections. I know, this is not easy as a pie, but it'd be worth it. For users sake.

Well, and who is going to maintain all this lists? Plugins field is a competitive landscape. For instance, today we have 2 popup plugins 5 tooltip plugins, tomorrow we might and will get more. So again who is going to maintain dependency lists. The answer is no nobody volunteers. (And there are more 3 clists in Miranda). What you are raising is valid question, but from my prospective it's all things author needs to address, if he cares, if not then tough luck, unless you are willing to maintain all this information on permanent basis.

Well, and who is going to maintain all this lists? Plugins field is a competitive landscape. For instance, today we have 2 popup plugins 5 tooltip plugins, tomorrow we might and will get more. So again who is going to maintain dependency lists. The answer is no nobody volunteers. (And there are more 3 clists in Miranda). What you are raising is valid question, but from my prospective it's all things author needs to address, if he cares, if not then tough luck, unless you are willing to maintain all this information on permanent basis.
    developers. why? because THEY know, what works with what they created. the simplest example - I create a skin for modern. log in to addons, add new>skin, type in "deb00t's skin', and select "contact list", or "pack" (if i created skins for more addons in the same theme), and checkbox the addons I created it for. what's needed here? nothing else than what already exists - addons structure. list checkboxes from "addons>contact list", for popups, list "addons>popups" plugins to be checked.

this way, we could have a two-way connection, so for skin detail, we could display the relevant plugin download button in sidebar, or vice versa, for a displayed plugin, list skins, or filter by that.

future? no problem, the checkbox list could be dynamically loaded from the categorization, so if a new popup addon is created, it will be listed for skin options, available for "compatibility". The maintenance is basically none, the only thing that's possible to enhance this is let the users acknowledge the admin/creator that the skin also works for another addon, so someone can "check" it in the skin addon configuration.

the bigger problem is the addon-addon compatibility. Yet again, if I create a popup module, which works with tabsrmm, I should "check" the tabsrmm module in compatibility. This way, again, for popup module detail, we could list supported messaging modules, and vice versa, for tabsrmm, compatible popup modules can be listed. This is a bit more complicated than skins, but doable. The only question I see now is, if the addon detail will blindly depend on the backward connection, or the addon itself should be "made compatible" - I mean, if a new popup module developer checks, that it works with tabsrmm, if we approve it as a fact, or if we need to setup tabsrmm to "support" the new popup. The first way seems to be cleaner and simpler.

Quote Originally Posted by deb00t View Post
    developers. why? because THEY know, what works with what they created.
    Actually no we do not, we know that something works with what we use but that is it. The rest I always leave to users. They will test report problems if any.

Actually no we do not, we know that something works with what we use but that is it. The rest I always leave to users. They will test report problems if any.
    Reporting problems haven't anything to do with writting a plugin/theme that needs mBot or clist modern...

actually, you just turned this against you :) "we know that something works with what we use" that's what I was originally talking about. when I create a skin for clist_modern, I KNOW it works with that. if it works for clist_modern_modXXX, fine, let the users tick this. but the only reasonable choice for that skin would be original modern ;) anyway, you can see this kind of thing on subtitle download webs. originally, the subtitles are done for a certain RLS, but the users can leave a comment that they indeed are in sync with another release. however, I'm not really saying that leaving a comment is the correct way for addons.

Yes, some dependences have to be there, but even authors do not know them all.

Yes, some dependences have to be there, but even authors do not know them all.
    Are you kidding? Tell me addons where the author doesn't know the dependences... Your not very helpful with this senseless discussion...

Quote Originally Posted by tjado View Post
    Are you kidding? Tell me addons where the author doesn't know the dependences... Your not very helpful with this senseless discussion...
    I am not kidding. I do not know all dependencies for my plugins. I know configuration I tested it with, but that's it. And definitely do not know all smiley packs that work with SmileyAdd. I do know that all smiley packs on addons regardless of section they are in "should" work, but not more.