Miranda IM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: addon structure

addon structure

Addon structure
    To be more flexible with addons, versions, files etc... the following structure is planned

Code:
    <addon>
        <addon-version>
            <file>
    So there is one addon (like "SmileyAdd"), which has several kinds of versions (like 0.5.3 with suffix alpha/beta/...).
    Each version can have several files, like source code, pictures, ansi/unicode/x64 versions etc...).

A uniform addon versioning is necessary to show always the latest stable version.

ToDo
    • extending UUID idea
    • access management for developers (several user can update the same addon)
    • define all necessary license types
    • define the new category structure
    • idea about rating system is missing
    • a lot of more?! :)

Quote Originally Posted by tjado View Post
    So there is one addon (like "SmileyAdd"), which has several kinds of versions (like 0.5.3 with suffix alpha/beta/...).
    Each version can have several files, like source code, pictures, ansi/unicode/x64 versions etc...).

A uniform addon versioning is necessary to show always the latest stable version.
    What level of complexity are we looking at? Is the idea that betas outside addons would also be in compliance with the addon versioning and every plugin would be somehow comparable with each other via UUID?

• idea about rating system is missing
    Maybe this could be part of the rating:
    Quote Originally Posted by borkra View Post
    1. Some way to determine if plugin(s) I use is up to date. It could be resolved on the client (like today) or on the server. The solution should make server load the least, this is where bottleneck is (server power and bandwidth cost money).
    A plugin would get recognition if update checks come in N times per week/month in addition to some kind of rating system, which people can use themselves. What were the biggest problems earlier?

Quote Originally Posted by Sami View Post
    What level of complexity are we looking at? Is the idea that betas outside addons would also be in compliance with the addon versioning and every plugin would be somehow comparable with each other via UUID?
    I hope alpha/beta versions of plugins will be also available over our new addon site. But they won't be so easy to reach like the stable ones. Search results, top rankings etc. will only show the stable ones and the non-stable ones (so alpha's, beta's, nightly...) will be not so user friendly to download.

Example of the structure:
    Code:
    SmileyAdd (addon):
        SmileyAdd 0.1 alpha (version)
            SmileyAdd 0.1 alpha unicode x86 source (file)
        SmileyAdd 0.2 beta (version)
            SmileyAdd 0.2 beta unicode x86 (file)
            SmileyAdd 0.2 beta unicode x64 (file)
            SmileyAdd 0.2 beta ansi x86 (file)
            SmileyAdd 0.2 beta ansi x64 (file)
        SmileyAdd 0.9 stable (version)
            SmileyAdd 0.9 stable unicode x86 (file)
            SmileyAdd 0.9 stable unicode x64 (file)
            SmileyAdd 0.9 stable ansi x86 (file)
            SmileyAdd 0.9 stable ansi x64 (file)
        SmileyAdd 1.0 final (version)
            SmileyAdd 1.0 final unicode x86 (file)
            SmileyAdd 1.0 final unicode x64 (file)
            SmileyAdd 1.0 final ansi x86 (file)
            SmileyAdd 1.0 final ansi x64 (file)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sami View Post
    Maybe this could be part of the rating:

A plugin would get recognition if update checks come in N times per week/month in addition to some kind of rating system, which people can use themselves. What were the biggest problems earlier?
    This is a good idea if users accept that because of data privacy and it would also not very accurate.

There were no rating at all on the addon side when I joined the team... if there was one, then it was removed because of no good algorithm or spam....

Quote Originally Posted by tjado View Post
    I hope alpha/beta versions of plugins will be also available over our new addon site. But they won't be so easy to reach like the stable ones. Search results, top rankings etc. will only show the stable ones and the non-stable ones (so alpha's, beta's, nightly...) will be not so user friendly to download.

Example of the structure:
    Code:
    SmileyAdd (addon):
        SmileyAdd 0.1 alpha (version)
            SmileyAdd 0.1 alpha unicode x86 source (file)
        SmileyAdd 0.2 beta (version)
            SmileyAdd 0.2 beta unicode x86 (file)
            SmileyAdd 0.2 beta unicode x64 (file)
            SmileyAdd 0.2 beta ansi x86 (file)
            SmileyAdd 0.2 beta ansi x64 (file)
        SmileyAdd 0.9 stable (version)
            SmileyAdd 0.9 stable unicode x86 (file)
            SmileyAdd 0.9 stable unicode x64 (file)
            SmileyAdd 0.9 stable ansi x86 (file)
            SmileyAdd 0.9 stable ansi x64 (file)
        SmileyAdd 1.0 final (version)
            SmileyAdd 1.0 final unicode x86 (file)
            SmileyAdd 1.0 final unicode x64 (file)
            SmileyAdd 1.0 final ansi x86 (file)
            SmileyAdd 1.0 final ansi x64 (file)
    This is a good idea if users accept that because of data privacy and it would also not very accurate.

There were no rating at all on the addon side when I joined the team... if there was one, then it was removed because of no good algorithm or spam....

I think structure is pretty good.
    What comes to my mind is support for several categories per addon. Also would be nice to display links for skins category when viewing specific addons (e.x. clist_modern)

About rating: I suppose user rating with 5 stars is enough. But maybe some automated rating like count of downloads, frequency of updates, etc.

Also what about comments, will they be returning back? For registered users only for example.

I agree mostly with the design.
    Would love to see alpha/beta releases on Addons (properly locked for normal users) with New Updater using Addons site.

What I would add is requirements for plugins: must-have UUID, I would put
    Code:
    <addon uuid=>
        <addon-version>
            <requires uuid=UUID-of-other-required-dll-such-as-tabsrmm?>
            <requires uuid=Diferent-DLL-UUID-maybe-this-time-modern>
            <file>
    this could be used to extent with skins (using 'version' tag) ... such installations (using updater or manually) could be improved creating *.mir archive files which would give self-importing miranda archives (optionally could download or inform user what is needed to be downloaded to make particular addon working)
    This is going far into future probably but optionally all files on addons could be available in *.mir format. Downloading skin for tabsrmm would make miranda check if plugin exists, check it's version or even configure settings of other plugins (fonts, colors, some options) by using UUID (for example: <other_plugin uuid=000><setting_name value=111><setting_name=222>...)
    And if one will be ever worried bye security issues we could have a "secure server list" tab so nothing will be downloaded/opened what's not on the list ...

On the other subject ... would love to see statistics, most downloaded, new files, etc for all and for each category, for all time and for day/week/month as well.

What about addons categories?
    Contact lists, SRMM, popup modules.
    You can't list all of them as required/recommended, nor you can predict, which modules will be created in future.

Quote Originally Posted by SHADOW-XIII View Post
    I agree mostly with the design.
    Would love to see alpha/beta releases on Addons (properly locked for normal users) with New Updater using Addons site.

What I would add is requirements for plugins: must-have UUID, I would put
    Code:
    <addon uuid=>
        <addon-version>
            <requires uuid=UUID-of-other-required-dll-such-as-tabsrmm?>
            <requires uuid=Diferent-DLL-UUID-maybe-this-time-modern>
            <file>
    this could be used to extent with skins (using 'version' tag) ... such installations (using updater or manually) could be improved creating *.mir archive files which would give self-importing miranda archives (optionally could download or inform user what is needed to be downloaded to make particular addon working)
    This is going far into future probably but optionally all files on addons could be available in *.mir format. Downloading skin for tabsrmm would make miranda check if plugin exists, check it's version or even configure settings of other plugins (fonts, colors, some options) by using UUID (for example: <other_plugin uuid=000><setting_name value=111><setting_name=222>...)
    And if one will be ever worried bye security issues we could have a "secure server list" tab so nothing will be downloaded/opened what's not on the list ...

On the other subject ... would love to see statistics, most downloaded, new files, etc for all and for each category, for all time and for day/week/month as well.
    Yep, not only stable releases should be available over the addon site.

Your idea with the requirements is nice. But maybe not so easy to integrate into the user interface (how the dev should choose the plugin which is required by his one?). I have already an idea how to implement the unique id's for that.

Also we need someone who is willing to work with us to write this new updater that could do this things. Or maybe robert will integrate this directly...

Quote Originally Posted by ANR Daemon View Post
    What about addons categories?
    Contact lists, SRMM, popup modules.
    You can't list all of them as required/recommended, nor you can predict, which modules will be created in future.
    Sorry but I don't understand what you want to say.... why the plugin author shouldn't have a possibility to say "hey my plugin requires also this and this one..."?

Not understand? Meh...
    Ok, stripped down example: "my protocol plugin require that you have SRMM and CList API available". Which plugin I should put as required? Standard SRMM? TabSRMM? SRMM_Mod? What about CList? Any other not-yet-written plugin providing same API?

In short, there should be API UUID's similar to certain plugins.
    This could as well serve as conflict resolution for plugins installation.
    "Installed plugin A implemets API X"
    "I want to install plugin B that implements API X"
    Installer will remove installed plugin A and put plugin B to work.

Quote Originally Posted by ANR Daemon View Post
    In short, there should be API UUID's similar to certain plugins.
    This could as well serve as conflict resolution for plugins installation.
    "Installed plugin A implemets API X"
    "I want to install plugin B that implements API X"
    Installer will remove installed plugin A and put plugin B to work.
    And who the hell going to support all these API UUIDs, nobody, Miranda is complex enough without UUID.