Miranda IM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Miranda.zip vs. MirandaPortable

In layman speak, I suppose. I would say that if "The registry key is created when miranda starts, yes, every time (if it isn't alraedy present)" it's not truly portable.

I haven't checked, but I assume that to mean I have a reg key at home and at work from using Miranda on my usb flash drive.

I will have to read back through on how to disable that. In my abnormal brain a portable application should leave no part of itself behind. This reg key / works anyway business makes me think "transportable application".

I will! Thank you kindly. ;)

You're welcome :)

If you don't have the DBEditor++ plugin, please refer to the latest posts in its discussion thread. And please remember to backup your database (profile_name.dat file) before editing it. Just in case :)

Well, I'm using the portable version and it works very well. I even updated it to the current Testing Build. For me the portablepps version has two major advantages to the normal .zip version:

1.) Paths can be set relative (already mentioned above)
    2.) Latest Releases of portableapps have both the ANSI and the UNICODE version of Miranda on board. So if you start Miranda portable on an Win9x System, the ANSI version is loaded, if you start it on a Win2k+ System, the unicode version starts. It's quite important if you foten have to switch between both OS "branches".

The only disadvantage is, that you have to keep your unicode and ansi version synchronized. E.g. if you use Clist Nicer 0.7.x unicode, you also have to install it's ansi pendant in the other plugin folder...

However if you don't have to use both versions, you could simply delete the one you don't need.

Edit: More infos here: -> http://portableapps.com/support/mira...nicode_plugins
    Last edited by R(i)SK; 12 Apr 2008 at 1:47 AM.

Can the official zip be uppdated by unzipping over my current miranda directory?

Yes, but please make sure you do not overwrite mirandaboot.ini.

And please remember to backup your database (profile_name.dat file) before the upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by effigy View Post
    Can the official zip be uppdated by unzipping over my current miranda directory?
    I don't know the portable version nor compatibility between portable and official, but for official version, unzipping over current is working well (stopping Miranda first of course)

Warning: do not over-write mirandaboot.ini file unless you know what you do

EDIT:
    Damned, Tara, you got me on this one :p
    Last edited by pepinlebref; 14 Apr 2008 at 5:13 PM. Reason: see above

Have you two ever tried for an appearance on Jeopordy?

-Oops! Yes, I'm updating the zip, and am familar with "." in the ini.

-Mr./Ms. R(i)sk seems to have found a feasible way to upgrade PortableApps(R) with the official zip.

-R(i)SK: if you're interested, looks like you could contribute your Miranda "Hybrid".