Miranda IM

Thread: Don't mean to raise the dead, but I have a question.

Don't mean to raise the dead, but I have a question.

I do realize this has been discussed (quite a lot), but I have a question that I don't think has been specifically asked before. I did a search and it turned out to be fruitless, so that's why I'm making a new thread.

Anyway, on with it. I realize that the custom emoticon feature of MSN Messenger and Windows Live Messenger is patented, or is going to be, or for whatever other reason, it's not being implemented in Miranda IM.

I'm a pretty proficient programmer in a few of the more well known languages, and was considering developing a simple plugin to simply pull custom emoticons that have been received already from the corresponding folder and display them in the conversation window. Which brings me to the main question:

If the source code is completely original (written from the ground up with no reverse engineering), is it still considered infringement? I see a lot of open source applications make use of features present in commercial applications all the time, but since the source code is original and not stolen, it's legit. A good example is ReactOS, just to name a big one.

Sorry for blabbing. If I were to make a simple plugin to only do that one thing, would it be legit? It's not like I'm implementing the entire feature set of custom emoticons in one program or anything, just taking what's already given to me, the emoticons in the folder, and displaying them in the message window.

Thanks for reading the whole thing carefully and putting in some consideration before responding to a seemly old topic. It's much appreciated ;)

Quote Originally Posted by brass2themax View Post
    I do realize this has been discussed (quite a lot), but I have a question that I don't think has been specifically asked before. I did a search and it turned out to be fruitless, so that's why I'm making a new thread.

Anyway, on with it. I realize that the custom emoticon feature of MSN Messenger and Windows Live Messenger is patented, or is going to be, or for whatever other reason, it's not being implemented in Miranda IM.

I'm a pretty proficient programmer in a few of the more well known languages, and was considering developing a simple plugin to simply pull custom emoticons that have been received already from the corresponding folder and display them in the conversation window. Which brings me to the main question:

If the source code is completely original (written from the ground up with no reverse engineering), is it still considered infringement? I see a lot of open source applications make use of features present in commercial applications all the time, but since the source code is original and not stolen, it's legit. A good example is ReactOS, just to name a big one.

Sorry for blabbing. If I were to make a simple plugin to only do that one thing, would it be legit? It's not like I'm implementing the entire feature set of custom emoticons in one program or anything, just taking what's already given to me, the emoticons in the folder, and displaying them in the message window.

Thanks for reading the whole thing carefully and putting in some consideration before responding to a seemly old topic. It's much appreciated ;)
    Since miranda is free open source project, I think noone would actually bother the creator of such plugin or maybe even the icon pack. You can also (if you are skilled in graphic creations) paint similar icons based on those you see in whatever application.
    I'm a programmer as well and I do that all the time I see some icon so I serach the net to find similar one, modify it and use it and then I'm tho one who created it (based on other resources of course).
    If you have another view on that, I'll be happy to hear it from you ;-)

Regards

If the source code is completely original (written from the ground up with no reverse engineering), is it still considered infringement?
    Yes, the proposed patent covers the method(s) used, not whether or not the code is the same. This is clear from the abstract of the patent, which is linked elsewhere. It may well be that the limited support that exists currently would already be a breach of that patent, were it to be granted.

Whether or not anyone would bother enforcing the patent is another matter - consensus appears to be not really, which is probably why more complete support is available in other IMs.

I'm a pretty proficient programmer in a few of the more well known languages, and was considering developing a simple plugin to simply pull custom emoticons that have been received already from the corresponding folder and display them in the conversation window.
    This would essentially be reinventing the wheel: what you're saying is "I'm considering writing smileyadd from scratch, but solely for custom smileys". So I'm not sure I see what the point is - SmileyAdd is open source and I think it would be more fruitful to look at writing an appropriate patch for that rather than starting from scratch. That's how the present MSN support came about, for example.

Sorry for blabbing. If I were to make a simple plugin to only do that one thing, would it be legit?
    In a word, no. No more so than it already is, anyhow.

This feature is not implemented because of luck of time on my part and large set of changes required. Release of 0.7 will provide some different options of implementing this feature. But it only could be done after 0.7 is released and not before, as everything needs to be backwards compatible. I will implement this feature in SmileyAdd at some point.

Thanks for the replies guys. If something like this might be implemented in SmileyAdd later on, I'll just leave it to you then. Better than having redundacy, and SmileyAdd is a great plugin as is already, so yeah...