Miranda IM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Running Miranda from a USB drive?

Related question :
    If I have installed MIM to (say) e:\mim and copy this folder to a usb drive, will MIM work exactly the same way from the usb drive as it does from drive e ?
    Basically I want to avoid configuring MIM once again.

As long as none of the installed plug-ins use absolute paths, there should be no problem with changing drive letters/running paths.
    Make sure you don't have any ancient plug-ins installed that may use such absolute paths.

Thanks, I'll try it out and let you know what happens.

In the database, the Contacts/name-of-contact/ContactPhoto/File setting uses the absolute path to where the avator-picture is stored (on the USB drive). A work-around is to install loadavatars.dll which will add its own RFile (relative file) setting to the ContactPhoto settings.

PS: Thanks for the tip about VirtDB, Drugwash.

Quote Originally Posted by Paultx
    A big concern is: will it run exclusively from the USB drive, without leaving any (traceable) data on the HD?
    Not sure how important this might be for you, but Miranda will probably leave the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Miranda

with the Install_Dir value, listing the path to the folder where the executable was run from.

If you prefer not to have that key left in the registry, you can remove it manually or you can modify your database to stop Miranda from adding it:

http://forums.miranda-im.org/showthr...9855#post29855

Quote Originally Posted by Tara
    Not sure how important this might be for you, but Miranda will probably leave the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Miranda
    Tara, basically I want to use MIM on an USB drive for IM'ing a few important people during working hours. I have no permission from the company to install whichever IM software, so I thought MIM that way would help me, without causing any concerns to the company.

Besides, I think MIM would allow me IM'ing from, say, cybercafes and my friends' or other PCs on the road.

Is that so?
    Last edited by Paultx; 4 Aug 2006 at 8:26 PM.

I have no permission from the company to install whichever IM software, so I thought MIM that way would help me, without causing any concerns to the company.
    I think that if you have no permission to install IM software from the company, then it's highly unlikely that running the same software off a USB drive is going to be acceptable to them.

I agree with Lazlo. But it might be a good idea to talk to the company folks and clarify the reasons why the IM software is disallowed. If it's not because they do not want people to chat but simply because they prefer additional software not to be run on their machines, then you could try other solutions, like web-based messengers. Or perhaps email.

Regarding cybercafes or friends' PC's though, Miranda on a USB drive should work just fine. It is up to you if you let it leave its registry key on those machines or not ... the key itself should not cause any trouble, but IMHO it would be nicer to leave other people's machines in the same state as before using Miranda on them.

I think the primary reason for a company to forbid instant messaging is data security. Depending on the company's profile, data leaking could have unpredictable results.

Efficiency at work might be the least of their concerns. So using such software againt the company's politics might cost you (at least) your job. Don't say you haven't been warned...

i too prefer running Miranda as a portable app but not necessarily from a USB drive. i just want the data to be inside Miranda's folder, is there a way to do this?

btw, is this program Miranda IM Portable safe to use? i'm just concerned about future updates..