Miranda IM

Page 2 of 87 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Jabber Protocol Discussion

I want to say thank you to all jabber developers too.

And NO, I have test PSI, Pandion, Exodus, believes me, Miranda is better! :)

I write at the moment a little tutorial about the jabber plugin for the german community, therefore I ask all this questions. ;) And sometimes I stumble about another documentation about jabber or PSI and can't find it in Miranda Jabber.

A general, offtopic, comment about jabber:
    I still have the same problem with jabber, the servers have many downtimes or agents/transports are not available. The distributed system of Jabber have no benefit for me, the downtimes form ICQ, MSN,... are shorter. :-/

btw, someone knows a overview about the jabber servers?
    The official list http://www.jabber.org/user/publicservers.shtml is not usefull and the list https://www.xmpp.net/servers is not much better.

@-pv-
    Not sure about mlu's account on this forum, but you can find him in [email protected] room.

The rights for an user in a conferenceroom is a little bit confusing for me with this "toggle XXX" thing.
    Toogle visitor:
    toggle between visitor and participant each click

Toogle moderator:
    between moderator and participant

Toogle Admin:
    PSI show me:
    1.click: Lastwebpage2 is now a moderator and an administrator
    2.click: Lastwebpage2 is now a participant and a member
    In Miranda the icon in the userlist toggle between visitor/moderator and entry in the voicelist and moderator list (contextmenu logwindow) cange

Toggle Owner:
    PSI:
    Lastwebpage2 is now a moderator and an owner
    Lastwebpage2 is now an administrator
    Icon in the userlist not change
    entries in the list from the contextmenu change too
    ==================
    I am completly confuse about this 4 "toogle" contextmenu entries, the "list" contextmenu in the history pane, the ouput from PSI and http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0045.html

Can someone give me a link with an easy explanation about all of this?
    In IRC an user have on of the 4 levels (or 6), thats all. :-/

Edit: Before someone ask Lastwebpage is the jabber-miranda user, Laswebpage 2 is a PSI user. ;)
    Last edited by Lastwebpage; 2 Jun 2007 at 9:24 PM.

I understand these user levels as flags not options. So multiple of them may be activated or deactivated with no relation to the others. If I am wrong the I'll be glad to be corrected.

As per XEP-0045 there are roles and affiliations:

There are two dimensions along which we can measure a user's connection with or position in a room. One is the user's long-lived affiliation with a room -- e.g., a user's status as an owner or an outcast. The other is a user's role while an occupant of a room -- e.g., an occupant's position as a moderator with the ability to kick visitors and participants. These two dimensions are distinct from each other, since an affiliation lasts across visits, while a role lasts only for the duration of a visit. In addition, there is no one-to-one correspondence between roles and affiliations; for example, someone who is not affiliated with a room may be a (temporary) moderator, and a member may be a participant or a visitor in a moderated room.
    "Toggle Visitor" and "Toggle Moderator" items change user's role (i.e. this is temporary privilege) , and "Toggle Admin"/"Toggle Owner" change user's affiliation

This XEP0045 is a little bit to technical for me, i try it in my own words:

Affiliation->User is somehow assign to the room, a member of this room, or not if the user is a visitor, it's the relationship between the user and the room
    (Owner,Admin,Member,Outcast,None)
    The affiliation is static for the user, he come back with the same affiliation.
    -Some affiliation have some rights (e.g. owner can change room settings)
    -roles are assign to this affiliation (e.g. admin is a mod)

Role->User is somehow assign to the possibility of actions for this room, it's the relationship between the user and the action which he can do.
    (Moderator,Participant,Visitor)
    The Role is dynamic, each time a user leave the room his role gets rejected.
    -each Role have more or less rights to do something (e.g. Participant can change Topic, visitor not)

is this simplified a little bit correct?

-roles are assign to this affiliation (e.g. admin is a mod)
    Yes, default role depends on affiliation, see http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0...ml#enter-roles

Hi. I'm from Russia, and my english bad, sorry. In Miranda 0.7 alpha 29 I can right-click on jabber-icq transport in my roster and choose "command" for use ad-hoc commands, but for mrim (mail-agent transport) I don't see "command" and I'm goto menu->jabber->agents->etc. for use ad-hoc commands for mrim. Please, make button "command" for mrim or "convert to transport". And for all converted in roster on right-click "command" button.

Quote Originally Posted by Lastwebpage View Post
    -each Role have more or less rights to do something (e.g. Participant can change Topic, visitor not)

is this simplified a little bit correct?
    All sounds right to me as I see it but a little note: visitor can do nothing just read. Participant can then chat and possibly alter the topic if the room settings allow it.

(I am an owner and have all rights to set this)
    Roles:
    User is participant=>Toggle voice=>visitor or participant
    User is moderator=>Toggle moderator=>participant or moderator

Affiliation:
    User is admin=>Toggle Admin=>member or Admin
    User is owner=>Toogle Owner=>Admin or owner
    + Add the user at one of the list (context menu log pane)

is this correct?
    ================
    For me the following context menu would looks like a little bit easier to understand:

[ ]visitor
    []participant
    [ ]moderator
    -----
    [ ]member
    []admin
    [ ]owner

Only one line can have a checkmark ([]), and if it not allowed then the line is grayed out.

Something like this would be a little bit more intuitive, and I could directly see what I can do, and the currently value for this user