Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Jabber Protocol Discussion
Miranda IM

Page 1 of 87 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Jabber Protocol Discussion

Jabber Protocol Discussion

Well, I'm opening this thread because I'm of the opinion, that the Jabber protocol discussions and questions need a central home. When I first visited this board I was quite astonished, that there are threads for nearly every Jabber Mod (GTalk, GMail, Meedo, etc.), but not for the original Jabber protocol. And as a consequence jabber knowledge is spread over hundreds of threads in Help and Feature Request Subboards.

My first question:
    Why doesn't Jabber protocol retrieve my external IP adresses automatically for direct Filetransfer? If i want to set up a FT I always need to get my IP manually and copy and paste it to the Jabber protocol configuration. That's not very comfortable.

And hey, I mean, as MIM is capable of UPNP it should be really easy to integrate IP retreiving into Jabber. UserInfoEx for example is also capable of this feature.

That work's exactly the same way then IRC, you must offer a puplic external IP if you use a router. (Not the 192.168.0.2 from your PC, the 123.123.123.123 from your ISP/Router)

Most routers include an option to send this IP automatic to a service like http://www.dyndns.com/ the router send 123.123.123.123 to this service, the service assign this dynamic IP with a fixed resolveable DNS name like risk.kicks-ass.net and you can enter this address in the jabber settings.
    I need this for another program too, therefore I have no problem with it. ;)

OK, IRC have an option to get the IP from the server, I don't know if this usefull and possible for jabber too.

-------------------------------------------------

I have another question, after some test with PSI,Exodus and Pandion I guess it's a good idea to include somewhere an option "Use always the same picture for Avatar and the Jabber VCard". I don't know if this is correct, but a lot of clients (All???) use the vCard photo for the avatar.

And yes, its a good idea to keep all Jabber questions at the same place. ;)
    Last edited by Lastwebpage; 29 May 2007 at 6:10 PM.

"Ad-hoc Commands" for Jabber - When ?

ad-hoc is in the testing builds now. also, there IS a jabber thread buried somewhere.

Filetransfer

I am not sure about filetransfer:

Q:The design of the filetransfer settings looks to me that I enable Proxy filetransfer and I CAN enter a proxy.
    what happens when I enable "use Proxy" but not enter a proxy?
    A:You must enable the checkbox before the textfield and enter the agent

Q:What happens when I enable P2P and Proxy?
    A:It try to use P2P first

Peter
    A=>Jabber chat with Ghazan
    Last edited by Lastwebpage; 1 Jun 2007 at 3:39 PM.

someone ever get an IRC Chat with an IRC to work?

The transport ask me for a nickname and I can enter a charset, but what next?

Peter

@Lastwebpage
    Next you should enter the channel through IRC transport. Jabber->Multi-User conference.

Don't press Browse button, you'll receive no results :) Use right-click in the box below, to launch Join dialog.

And regarding File transfers. IF you'll disable both P2P and Proxy checkmarks (in the latest test build) then for transfer will be used specific mechanism called In-Band Bytestreams (IBB) (functionality similar to miranda's plugin FileAsMessage)
    Last edited by Mishail; 2 Jun 2007 at 2:11 AM.

Hello,
    found it out in the meantime ;)

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Mishail View Post
    And regarding File transfers. IF you'll disable both P2P and Proxy checkmarks (in the latest test build) then for transfer will be used specific mechanism called In-Band Bytestreams (IBB) (functionality similar to miranda's plugin FileAsMessage)
    Hm.. I wonder if there are more such hidden things in the jabber protocol plugin. Luckily I am reading the forums...
    Nice to see some postings from the actual jabber developers. Does anyone know who's mlu and whether he's registered here?

@mishail thanks for the patches and all other work you've put into it
    Last edited by -pv-; 2 Jun 2007 at 10:13 AM.