Miranda IM

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: HistoryStats discussion

Yup, timer would be a great idea. I just talked with the developer today, he went to a holiday and wont be available for 1,5 weeks. However a NEW VERSION of historystats have just been uploaded, you should everyone really upgrade to that.

Note that, as this 0.1 version if the first to feature png usage, it will have some doodahs with certain configurations. So far I have spotted that the unicode version without png usage enabled and associated dll:s (see the readme) available, the plugin writes an empty file. Also with other configurations it sometimes fails to render the split and split timeline-columns.

However if you use the NON UNICODE version with PNG ENABLED (remember to read the readmo for dll:s), it should work just fine.

We look forward to see the unicode doodahs fixed. Happy new year everyone!
    Last edited by amd123; 29 Dec 2005 at 2:17 PM.

Update to 0.1.0.0

Most people should have noticed the update to the new version 0.1.0.0 since HistoryStats is on the file listing and integrated with Updater plugin from now on.

The timer option is on the TODO list. I think it will be implemented soon. Meanwhile, I'd like to fix as many issues as possible. So far, only amd123 reported problems, which I can't reproduce. :-( Is there someone else who has these or other problems and is eager to support me in tracking the issues down?

Too, thanks to amd123 for writing some helpful lines while I went to holiday.

Happy new year everyone!

Hi,

like lot of people here I love your stats plugin.

Here is some options you may add if you find them interesting :
    - I have seen on your TODO list a futur option to cut the html file each XX contacts. And why not an option to cut the html file by periode of time? (like every week - month - year)
    - when we use PNG output, we cant see the date when timeline starts and stops. So, maybe to add in the title of this column the date like this :
    Timeline (from 05-03-2001 to 09-01-2006)

And "bugs" I found :
    - when we have empty history for some contacts, the timeline begins at 01-01-1970, which makes the column very big.
    - the minimum chat duration is always 00:00. Maybe to make it to be the minimum of a real chat will be better (your algorithm may think that if nobody talk it is a chat, and so put that the minimu chat is null)

Thx again for your work ;)
    Last edited by megaman; 8 Jan 2006 at 11:29 PM.

Hi megaman,

Quote Originally Posted by megaman
    Hi,
    Here is some options you may add if you find them interesting :
    - I have seen on your TODO list a futur option to cut the html file each XX contacts. And why not an option to cut the html file by periode of time? (like every week - month - year)
    Let's assume you history starts in 2003. Does this mean you would like to have an option to get a separate statistic (separate files) for every year, i.e. 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2006? And similar things on an monthly or weekly basis, though I doubt weekly makes sense?

- when we use PNG output, we cant see the date when timeline starts and stops. So, maybe to add in the title of this column the date like this :
    Timeline (from 05-03-2001 to 09-01-2006)
    Assuming you didn't turn of the "Nick" column there is already this information hidden in a tooltip (again, if you didn't disable it). If you look at the tooltip of the "Totals" row it will show you the time span of the history you read and thus the same time span applies to the timeline.

Of course it's an easy task to add this information to the header of the timline column (maybe as a tooltip), or maybe in a separate line outside the table or maybe even somewhere else? Please tell me where you'd like to see this information and I put it on my TODO list.

And "bugs" I found :
    - when we have empty history for some contacts, the timeline begins at 01-01-1970, which makes the column very big.
    Yes, this is a real bug. I never noticed it because I always removed contacts with empty history. I will fix it as soon as possible.

- the minimum chat duration is always 00:00. Maybe to make it to be the minimum of a real chat will be better (your algorithm may think that if nobody talk it is a chat, and so put that the minimu chat is null)
    Yes, your interpretation makes more sense to me, too. I will change this in the next release, so the plugin will only take the time of chats that lastet more than 0 seconds. Maybe I should make an option, so everyone will be able to define a minimum time a chat must last to be counted as a chat.

There's another question arising: Should I change the counting of the number of chats, too? For example if you talked with someone for 30 seconds and set the minimum chat time to 60 seconds, then this wouldn't be counted as a chat.

---

Thanks for your feedback! Hoping to hear from you and other users with ideas regarding the questions in this post.

SloMo

Quote Originally Posted by SloMo
    Hi megaman,

Let's assume you history starts in 2003. Does this mean you would like to have an option to get a separate statistic (separate files) for every year, i.e. 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2006? And similar things on an monthly or weekly basis, though I doubt weekly makes sense?
    Yes, it is what I mean. And it is true that for each week that would be too much.
    Maybe another idea linked to that is a random section (random quote, or Big numbers) that would make each generation a little different

I got inspired by some IRC stats generators like mIRCStats ou IRCStats which have cool sections like daily activity. Of course it is just ideas.

Assuming you didn't turn of the "Nick" column there is already this information hidden in a tooltip (again, if you didn't disable it). If you look at the tooltip of the "Totals" row it will show you the time span of the history you read and thus the same time span applies to the timeline.

Of course it's an easy task to add this information to the header of the timline column (maybe as a tooltip), or maybe in a separate line outside the table or maybe even somewhere else? Please tell me where you'd like to see this information and I put it on my TODO list.
    The idea was to have a quick access to this information. If we use the nick's tooltip, we need at least 2 nicks, one for the first message, and another for the last (when I say first and last, I mean in the database). But I just realize that in the tooltip of the total line, we have this information ^^;

Or something different, each period of time, the background color of the timeline changes.

Yes, your interpretation makes more sense to me, too. I will change this in the next release, so the plugin will only take the time of chats that lastet more than 0 seconds. Maybe I should make an option, so everyone will be able to define a minimum time a chat must last to be counted as a chat.

There's another question arising: Should I change the counting of the number of chats, too? For example if you talked with someone for 30 seconds and set the minimum chat time to 60 seconds, then this wouldn't be counted as a chat.

SloMo
    Yes, this option seems good too. If that does not slow the analysis toot much.

Thx you ^^

Hey Maddin,
    I think you missed the FTP transaction-method, for putting the files on a webserver, on the planned features list. I'm nearly sure I quite mention this to you in ICQ ;-)

Regards,
    Alex

megaman, I think everything is clear now. I'll put the things on my TODO soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Schommel
    I think you missed the FTP transaction-method, for putting the files on a webserver, on the planned features list. I'm nearly sure I quite mention this to you in ICQ ;-)
    At least I can't remeber that we talked this "upload via FTP" feature. ;-) But sure it is an interesting thing (especially in combination with automated geneartion every X days). I'll put it on my list.

With my best regards,
    SloMo

Version 0.1.0.2

Quote Originally Posted by megaman
    And "bugs" I found :
    Fixed in HistoryStats 0.1.0.2.

---
    SloMo

Testing HistoryStats unicode version 0.1.0.3 always reports version incompatibility for me, suggesting I'm using an outdated Miranda core version. But I'm using the last available Miranda alpha: Miranda 0.4.3 build #45.

I'm afraid something is wrong in the version detection routine.

Quote Originally Posted by Malversan
    Testing HistoryStats unicode version 0.1.0.3 always reports version incompatibility for me, suggesting I'm using an outdated Miranda core version. But I'm using the last available Miranda alpha: Miranda 0.4.3 build #45.

I'm afraid something is wrong in the version detection routine.
    I've just tested it with the alpha build #45 (unicode and non-unicode) and everything works as expected. Don't try to use the unicode version of HistoryStats with a non-unicode Miranda IM core. All other combinations should work without any problems.

My "Requirements" on Miranda IM File Listing weren't that clear. I forgot to mention it needs a unicode core. Just changed this. It's now more specific.