Miranda IM

Thread: authentication failure for google talk

authentication failure for google talk

I've tried using PSI and Miranda and both fail authentication.

I doubt the problem is on this side, but may be a pc setting, I'm using xppro.

I have followed all advice on thread:

http://forums.miranda-im.org/showthr...ht=google+talk

SSL installed and connection seems to work.

Error is in password

Have tried "save password" and typing manually each connect, and here's what I get every time.

Code:
    [17:10:41 JABBER] PS_SETSTATUS( 40072 )
    [17:10:41 JABBER] Thread started: 325156DE 492
    [17:10:41 JABBER] Thread started: type=0
    [17:10:41 JABBER] Thread type=0 server='talk.google.com' port='5223'
    [17:10:42 JABBER] (368) Connected to talk.google.com:5223
    [17:10:42 JABBER] Local IP = 192.168.0.149
    [17:10:42 JABBER] Intializing SSL connection
    [17:10:42 JABBER] SSL using socket = 368
    [17:10:42 JABBER] SSL create context ok
    [17:10:42 JABBER] SSL set fd ok
    [17:10:42 JABBER] SSL negotiation ok
    [17:10:42 JABBER] SSL enabled for handle = 3398240
    [17:10:42 JABBER] Thread started: 325192AC 3420
    [17:10:42 JABBER] ( SSL ) Data sent
    <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?><stream:stream to='gmail.com' xmlns='jabber:client' xmlns:stream='http://etherx.jabber.org/streams'>
    [17:10:42 JABBER] Entering main recv loop
    [17:10:42 JABBER] recvResult = 125
    [17:10:42 JABBER] ( SSL ) Data received
    <stream:stream from="gmail.com" id="X9D903CE0D58BC872" xmlns:stream="http://etherx.jabber.org/streams" xmlns="jabber:client">
    [17:10:42 JABBER] IqAdd id=18, proc=0, func=0x3250a80a
    <iq type='get' id='mir_18'><query xmlns='jabber:iq:auth'><username>cardinalpoints</username></query></iq>
    [17:10:42 JABBER] bytesParsed = 125
    [17:10:42 JABBER] recvResult = 106
    <iq id="mir_18" type="result"><query xmlns="jabber:iq:auth"><username/><resource/><password/></query></iq>
    [17:10:42 JABBER] Handling iq request for id=18
    [17:10:42 JABBER] <iq/> iqIdGetAuth
    [17:10:42 JABBER] IqAdd id=19, proc=0, func=0x3250a9f1
    <iq type='set' id='mir_19'><query xmlns='jabber:iq:auth'><username>cardinalpoints</username><password>**********</password><resource>Miranda</resource></query></iq>
    [17:10:42 JABBER] bytesParsed = 106
    [17:10:42 JABBER] recvResult = 329
    <iq type="error" id="mir_19"><query xmlns="jabber:iq:auth"><username>cardinalpoints</username><password/><resource>Miranda</resource></query><error code="403" type="auth"><forbidden xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas"/><text xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas">username or password not correct</text></error></iq>
    [17:10:42 JABBER] Handling iq request for id=19
    [17:10:42 JABBER] <iq/> iqIdSetAuth
    </stream:stream>
    [17:10:44 JABBER] bytesParsed = 329
    [17:10:44 JABBER] recvResult = -1
    [17:10:44 JABBER] (0033DA60:4294967295) Connection closed
    [17:10:44 JABBER] Thread ended: type=0 server='gmail.com'
    [17:10:44 JABBER] Exiting KeepAliveThread
    [17:10:44 JABBER] Exiting ServerThread
    [17:10:45 JABBER] SetAwayMsg called, wParam=40072 lParam=Yep, I'm here.
    I've typed and retyped until my fingers got blisters, my user name and password, but it still comes back as user name or password failure.

(password is seen here as ********* intentionally, log shows actual password)

Can anyone help?
    Last edited by Tara; 24 Jul 2008 at 10:14 AM. Reason: added code tags to the log to fix the page width

just for giggles if you use the GTalk client and use your same username/password it works?

Quote Originally Posted by cojones View Post
    just for giggles if you use the GTalk client and use your same username/password it works?
    the log file shows the exact same as my gmail log in.

I tried it with caplock just to be sure and its exactly the same.

coy and pasted into a search and came up identical.

I had this same problem. While you can log into the google talk client and your gmail account, you cannot log in with Miranda or any other third party client. My log kept returning password failure also. If you have the 'always online' plugin installed, slide it to the slowest setting or disable it, ensure the google protocol status is set to OFF line, wait 24 hrs for google to reset, then try logging on.

PS. If you wait 24hrs and then log in, without reducing the number of 'keep alive' requests, you keep loosing the connection for a further 24hrs. Assuming of cause that you have the SSL library and client settings correct.
    Last edited by Daina; 6 Sep 2006 at 12:26 AM. Reason: PS

Quote Originally Posted by Daina View Post
    I had this same problem. While you can log into the google talk client and your gmail account, you cannot log in with Miranda or any other third party client. My log kept returning password failure also. If you have the 'always online' plugin installed, slide it to the slowest setting or disable it, ensure the google protocol status is set to OFF line, wait 24 hrs for google to reset, then try logging on.

PS. If you wait 24hrs and then log in, without reducing the number of 'keep alive' requests, you keep loosing the connection for a further 24hrs. Assuming of cause that you have the SSL library and client settings correct.
    Glad to find someone who had a similar experience, and thanks for your help, but your going to have to be a bit more detailed.

1. What is a google protocol status setting and where do I find it?

2. I don't believe that I have an "always online" plugin installed, at least it's not in the list of plug ins in the options menu. I'm doubting I would need to install it and then disable it or....?

Thanks again, but I'm going to need a bit more detail. = )

1. Each protocol (jabber [for google], msn, yahoo, icq, etc) can be set to online, offline, away, N/A, DND, invisible, etc. Click on each protocol icon at the bottom of the clist to set an individual status. The main status menu in miranda is global. Perhaps my calling it google rather then jabber....

2. OK, anything else that is making a request on the server? I get a contact to my own gmail account appearing in my clist periodically and never have figured out why this is - might be when mail arrives at gmail.

I'm reasonably sure google altered the time out on the frequency of requests that can be made on their server - from third party. I'm not a coder and may be wrong. I had a brief connection when I upgraded to unicode Miranda, then could no longer log on - password error. Once I read to wait 24hrs (don't have the link sorry, but it was here) , bingo. For several weeks I kept loosing the connection (unable to log in again for 24 hrs - password error) eventually I turned off 'keep alive' in the jabber protocol. Since then it has worked.

You could try this; set the google (jabber) protocol to OFF line, go options, network, jabber and untick 'keep alive'. Try in 24hrs time, see how you go and let us know if that works for you. Meantime don't try to log in with PSI. If that doesn't do it I don't know what your problem is. Assuming that your SSL library and protocol settings are correct.

taojones? Got time to ask, no feedback?

This problem didn't start right away on upgrade to unicode, it started when I made a dupe of the jabber protocol. It remains sensitive and I still periodically loose the connection for 24hrs. When this happens I get the same log as above, if the coders care to look into it.

Seems like my gmail account is stuck on a slower maximum rate of requests per what-ever (not a coder as I said, therefore cannot post like one, which seems to have a baring on getting a result here).