PDA

View Full Version : emoticons wont work

murko
3 May 2005, 2:57 PM
I never used this feature, and was rather happy with not seeing all icons everytime, but I suddenly had a change of heart. Installed the IEview and also a large pack of emoticons but still cant see them. I only get a (k) where others see the "kiss" or whatever (k) is. The one I am testing against have the latest MSN 7.xxx installed Have not been able to test against anyone else yet, but belive it wont work so... what have I done wrong?

According to the settings in IEview, I have done everything correct

/M

Adam2
3 May 2005, 3:10 PM
Does the package you use include a emoticon for (k)?

dreamz
3 May 2005, 3:28 PM
did you install smileyadd? (or is that not needed for ieview? i don't use it, so i'm not sure.)

murko
3 May 2005, 3:29 PM
Does the package you use include a emoticon for (k)?

well actually it never says anything about that. Just that its over 200 different ones, and we have tested with =) ;O) :-) etc etc etc

Almost every possible combo with smileys and (?) have been tested, but just appears as they were written, and no emoticons

murko
3 May 2005, 3:30 PM
did you install smileyadd?

well nope ,o) Maybe that is the case then. Just thought that IEview and emoticons was the only thing needed.

Searching for SmileAdd right now

murko
3 May 2005, 3:35 PM
did you install smileyadd? (or is that not needed for ieview? i don't use it, so i'm not sure.)

Installed now and when clicking on the "S" in the message windpw, Miranda crashes so that was a plugin that was booted quickly ,o)

Adam2
3 May 2005, 3:35 PM
SmileyAdd is not needed for IEView... (I think :))

TioDuke
3 May 2005, 5:12 PM
No it is not needed. You just need:
1) IEView
2) A smiley packe that supports the (k) smiley or whichever you want to use
3) Set up in IEview,s Options, smiley tab, the package name you want to use.

Now. If you see the smiley selection window when pressing the smiley button in the message window, you should be able to see the smiley in the message log when you send it. NOT in the input edit control.

Tell us if this worked.

PS: which message window plugin are you using? AFAIK, you need wether tabsrmm (and enable support for external message logs) or scriver.

murko
3 May 2005, 5:16 PM
No it is not needed. You just need:

PS: which message window plugin are you using? AFAIK, you need wether tabsrmm (and enable support for external message logs) or scriver.

Actually dont know...

....Checking

srmm.dll <== is what I have.....

installed and are running SCRIVER.dll just now.... And have installed the emoticons called: Anim3DSmiley for IEView 1.0

I do see the emoticons when pressing the small smiley-buttos as U asked before, but I really dont know wich written smiley should be shown with what.. but I havent seen anyone work just yet

TioDuke
3 May 2005, 5:25 PM
I am glad it worked. To know which smileys that package includes you will have to take a look into the .asl file. It is a simple txt file where you specifie the character sequences to be replaced by each image.

murko
3 May 2005, 5:54 PM
I am glad it worked. To know which smileys that package includes you will have to take a look into the .asl file. It is a simple txt file where you specifie the character sequences to be replaced by each image.

Yikes, I got it to work completely now.

Thanx to all that participated in the thread, and hope that you will have a nice spring/summer

saiko
19 Jun 2005, 9:21 PM
hey i seem to have the same problem, i use scriver and the ieview protocol smiley package.. everything is configured right i think, but smilies just doesn't show, neither in the menu when you click the smiley-button.. i get the thingie you see when a picture is not loaded (red cross)

any suggestions? thx in advance

eblis
19 Jun 2005, 11:47 PM
Then it can't find the images. You need to have the smiley images as well as the .asl file; also make sure the path to each smiley is correct.

Each entry in the asl file consists of:
a file name that holds the smiley image
a smiley id (should be already set, you usually don't need to change this)
a list of strings that should be replaced by the smiley
and smiley name/information

So you need to have the images as well as the .asl file.

saiko
20 Jun 2005, 12:10 AM
yes i'm fully aware, the asl file is in the same directory where i have put my emoticons (C:\Program Files\Miranda IM\Icons)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP [ver: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2]
Installed RAM: 256 MBytes
Free disk space on Miranda partition: 819 MBytes
Miranda IM version: 0.4.0.1
Build time: 13:34:01 of 16/06/2005 (day/month/year)
Nightly: No

chat.dll - Chat [0.2.1.3]
clist_classic.dll - Classic contact list [0.5.0.2]
dbx_3x.dll - Miranda database driver [0.5.0.1]
ieview.dll - IEView Plugin [1.0.2.1]
msg_export.dll - Message export [2.15.0.0]
msn.dll - MSN Protocol [0.4.0.4]
newstatusnotify.dll - NewStatusNotify [1.1.2.1]
popup.dll - PopUp Interoperability [2.0.3.8]
scriver_unicode.dll - Send/Receive Messages (Unicode) [2.2.2.2]
startupstatus.dll - StartupStatus [0.0.2.0]
versioninfo.dll - Version Informations [1.0.1.5]

Angeli-Ka
20 Jun 2005, 6:06 AM
Are the animated gif images disabled in your IE settings?

saiko
20 Jun 2005, 6:34 AM
no as i don't use animated smileys, in fact it are just the default MSN smileys i use from the IEview Protocol Smileys

Angeli-Ka
20 Jun 2005, 6:58 AM
If you use smileys with IEView you must have enabled gifs in Internet Explorer's settings.. don't mater are they animated or not.

saiko
20 Jun 2005, 7:05 AM
yes in Advanced (Play Animations on Web Pages) is enabled

the funny thing is that the (i think) smileys do work, coz when i press such as red cross i get [red cross wink] ;) so presume my contacts get the msg

anything else?

eblis
20 Jun 2005, 9:59 AM
Please check the path to the smileys in the icon pack; try to use relative paths, not absolute. I still think it can't find the images and that's why you get a red cross.
The emoticons do work like you described as their are plain text, the clients have to replace the strings with images. So the smiley pack knows the strings each emoticon has but when it tries to replace them it can't find the images.

nowotny
20 Jun 2005, 10:08 AM
Also consider upgrading IEView to the latest version...
http://developer.berlios.de/projects/mgoodies

Tara
20 Jun 2005, 7:44 PM
yes in Advanced (Play Animations on Web Pages) is enabled
Make sure you have "Show pictures" enabled too.

saiko
20 Jun 2005, 8:19 PM
Make sure you have "Show pictures" enabled too.

was enabled already

Also consider upgrading IEView to the latest version...
http://developer.berlios.de/projects/mgoodies

upgraded scriver and ieview

Please check the path to the smileys in the icon pack; try to use relative paths, not absolute.

enlighten me the difference between relative and absolute pls, thx

problem is not solved, do you think it's usefull to try tabsrrm instead of scriver?

saiko
20 Jun 2005, 8:21 PM
oh i also switched to non-unicode now, no difference either :(

saiko
20 Jun 2005, 8:41 PM
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP [ver: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2]
Installed RAM: 256 MBytes
Free disk space on Miranda partition: 792 MBytes
Miranda IM version: 0.4.0.1
Build time: 13:34:01 of 16/06/2005 (day/month/year)
Nightly: No

Active Plugins:
clist_classic.dll - Classic contact list [0.5.0.2]
dbx_3x.dll - Miranda database driver [0.5.0.1]
ieview.dll - IEView Plugin [1.0.2.2]
msg_export.dll - Message export [2.15.0.0]
msn.dll - MSN Protocol [0.4.0.4]
newstatusnotify.dll - NewStatusNotify [1.1.2.1]
popup.dll - PopUp Interoperability [2.0.3.8]
scriver_unicode.dll - Send/Receive Messages (Unicode) [2.2.2.7]
startupstatus.dll - StartupStatus [0.0.2.0]
versioninfo.dll - Version Informations [1.0.1.5]

added/deleted/modified some plugins, problem still remains

eblis
20 Jun 2005, 10:01 PM
Please try a different smiley pack, with less smileys in it. I think ieview won't load smileys if you have over 150 in the pack (or it will only load the first 150, i'm not sure).

;"Hidden" smileys - only accessible in YPager (or here) by shortcut
;Of course for Miranda you can just remove the *'s, but that's cheating ;)
Smiley = "..\yahoo 6\79.gif", -179, "(*)", "Star (*)"
Smiley = "E:\usr\miranda\Plugins\ieview\smileys\yahoo 6\78.gif", -178, ":-j :-J", "Just kidding :-j"
Smiley = "77.gif", -177, "^:)^", "I'm not worthy ^:)^"

The first emoticon uses relative paths, that is "..\yahoo 6\79.gif" - it goes to the parent directory (..) and then enters the "yahoo 6" directory (which is in fact the current directory :) )
The second emoticon uses an absolute path: "E:\usr\miranda\Plugins\ieview\smileys\yahoo 6\78.gif", if i change my miranda directory this won't work anymore. Curiously, it doesn't work as it's written now and i don't know why, the path is correct; i think ieview has an issue with absolute paths.
The third emoticon uses a relative path as well, it searches for the file in the current directory (which is "E:\usr\miranda\Plugins\ieview\smileys\yahoo 6")

If you use absolute paths then you point to an absolute drive and directory, if you change them then it won't work anymore. If you use relative paths then you're pointing to a directory relative to the current directory - this way you can change the install directory and it will work as long as you keep the structure of child directories intact.

saiko
20 Jun 2005, 10:57 PM
hey, the absolute/relative didn't work

i tried installing other IEview emoticons and surprisingly it works ! i think it has something to do with the .ico or .gif extension, .ico isn't working for me.. so next up for me is changing them to .gif (coz i really want the MSN smileys) and making my own .asl :)

should work, all help is appreciated ! thx lads :)

Lunks
21 Jun 2005, 3:04 AM
.asl file is incorrectly pointing to gifs that does not exists.

saiko
21 Jun 2005, 7:53 AM
.asl file is incorrectly pointing to gifs that does not exists.

Smiley = "./MSN/MSNsmileys19x19_109.ico", 0, ":-) :)"
Smiley = "./MSN/MSNsmileys19x19_110.ico", 0, ":-D :-d :D :d"
Smiley = "./MSN/MSNsmileys19x19_113.ico", 0, ";-) ;)"

as you see, it seems to be the right path though and the right extension.. no idea why it doesn't work, but i'm happy i can use IEview with an other smiley package :)

eblis
21 Jun 2005, 9:52 AM
Smiley = "./MSN/MSNsmileys19x19_109.ico", 0, ":-) :)"
Smiley = "./MSN/MSNsmileys19x19_110.ico", 0, ":-D :-d :D :d"
Smiley = "./MSN/MSNsmileys19x19_113.ico", 0, ";-) ;)"

as you see, it seems to be the right path though and the right extension.. no idea why it doesn't work, but i'm happy i can use IEview with an other smiley package :)

Try :
Smiley = "MSN\MSNsmileys19x19_110.ico", 0, ":-D :-d :D :d"
Smiley = "MSN\MSNsmileys19x19_113.ico", 0, ";-) ;)"
instead and see what happens.

Drugwash
22 Jun 2005, 6:26 AM
In other words: SLASH and BACKSLASH are NOT the same thing. That's why the first pack didn't work. ;-)

TioDuke
22 Jun 2005, 3:38 PM
No, no, no, no. ;-)
The problem is that he is working with ieview, so he needs to use an ieview smiley pack. The ieview's smiley packs use gif files. The smileyadd's, use .ico (just try to display an ico file with IE and you will see what happens).

Offtopic: I am not 100% sure but I think that "/" and "\" have the same meaning in Windows (at least for paths). I had the same idea that you have (maybe it is because under DOS it was not the same - my age betrays me) but lately I discovered the use of the "/" (straight slash). Maybe someone realized it was time to make things more compatible with the best OS ever: UNIX. :-p

Drugwash
22 Jun 2005, 9:41 PM
Sorry, I was too tired in the morning and didn't notice that very important detail: ico files.
Yes, you are right, that should be the main reson for not working.
As for the slash/ backslash usage, I'm also unsure, as I hardly use them (if ever).

saiko
23 Jun 2005, 6:34 PM
IEView Protocoll Smilyes 1.0 (http://www.miranda-im.org/download/details.php?action=viewfile&id=2112) => for IEView though

an overview of what i tried related to the path :

Smiley = "MSN/MSNsmileys19x19_109.ico", 0, ":-) :)" => not working
Smiley = ".\MSN\MSNsmileys19x19_109.ico", 0, ":-) :)" => not working
Smiley = "MSN\MSNsmileys19x19_109.ico", 0, ":-) :)" => not working

i think it's due to the .ico format, coz all the other IEView emoticon sets are in .gif

i warn the creator of the pack (if he is even allowed to put it online, due to copyright issues => i doubt it)

but hey, i got them now, so all i need is an .ico => .gif changer

/me goes to google now :)

Drugwash
24 Jun 2005, 4:19 AM
You could use Chun Sejin's Imagine (http://www.nyam.pe.kr/dev/imagine/download/wip/Imagine_0.9.0.0_beta_10_20050410.zip). Warning: it's a hotlink to the latest beta as of this date, and might not be available after some time. I tried to get on his homepage (http://www.nyam.pe.kr/), but I couldn't.
If it won't work, you could go to TotalCmd.net (http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/imagine.html) or just Google for Imagine Chun Sejin and you'll surely find it.

TIP: Just open each .ico file and choose Save as.... Select .gif from the dropdown list and that's all. ;-)

Geizhals
6 Dec 2005, 11:59 AM
Hello,
I have a problem too.
Im using ieview with smileys from the yahho-protocoll.
I installed everything like it is recommended.

by clicking the "preview button" under "ieview", I see the smileys I want to include.
They are animated too, like the way they have to !
So far the good things ;)

But:
In the message Dialog I cant find a smiley-button. So it is impossible for me to use them.
I also tried smileyadd, but then the smileys are not animated :-(

Do you have any ideas

greets G.

P.S.: sorry for my bad english, and sorry if there already exists a topic about my problem.

eblis
6 Dec 2005, 12:07 PM
What messaging plugin ?
If you're using tabSRMM you have to activate ieview support (options->message sessions->message window->message log->Suport for external plugins).

Geizhals
6 Dec 2005, 12:27 PM
Yes, Im using tabSRMM , will try this when Im back home.
Thank you !!!

MatchstiK
17 Dec 2005, 2:44 AM
Sorry to bump a thread, but I didn't think this warranted a new one.

I'm trying to get smileys to work in IEView, except there is no Smiley or Emoticon tab in my IEView settings. The only tabs I have are General, Message Log, and Group Chats.

Any idea why I'm missing this vital option?

I'm using IEView 1.0.4.
TabSRMM 0.9.9.98

Everything else in my message window is working beautifully.

borkra
17 Dec 2005, 2:50 AM
Sorry to bump a thread, but I didn't think this warranted a new one.

I'm trying to get smileys to work in IEView, except there is no Smiley or Emoticon tab in my IEView settings. The only tabs I have are General, Message Log, and Group Chats.

Any idea why I'm missing this vital option?

I'm using IEView 1.0.4.
TabSRMM 0.9.9.98

Everything else in my message window is working beautifully.
Did you compile this version of IEView from latest CVS sources?

MatchstiK
17 Dec 2005, 2:54 AM
Did you compile it from latest CVS sources?

I didn't compile it myself, but come to think of it, I may be using a nightly build that I switched to when I was having problems sorting out things with ieview and tabsrmm.

Should I switch back to a stable release?

EDIT - Yep that fixed it. Thank you very much! I take it that nightlys don't include a lot of extras?

borkra
17 Dec 2005, 3:02 AM
I didn't compile it myself, but come to think of it, I may be using a nightly build that I switched to when I was having problems sorting out things with ieview and tabsrmm.

Should I switch back to a stable release?

EDIT - Yep that fixed it. Thank you very much! I take it that nightlys don't include a lot of extras?
No just the next version of IEView will use SmileyAdd for smiley support. But I have not release this version of SmileyAdd yet.

MatchstiK
17 Dec 2005, 3:43 AM
No just the next version of IEView will use SmileyAdd for smiley support. But I have not release this version of SmileyAdd yet.

I see. Well that works out perfectly then. Thanks again for your help.